Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swgardener Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2006, 09:46 AM
    Sleep porch wirering
    I have a 90 foot run to wire from my house to a sleep shack. If I run 2 12/2 wires this distance will it loose power.
    Also can I use a grounding stake by the sleep shack or should I just stay with the main?
    Thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2006, 12:19 PM
    Voltage drop is dependent on the amperage load, the higher the load will increase the voltage drop

If #12 cable is installed, the maximum amp load, without exceeding the allowable Vd of 5%, will be 12 amps of load. With 12 amp load, you should have 115.9 volts at the end of the circuit, assuming a full 120 volts at the beginning of the circuit. Any more than 12 amps will cause the voltage drop to increase to a level that will affect equipment

Absolutely no ground rod is allowed to be installed.

You must insure the cable has an equipment ground and that it is connected properly at both ends of the circuit.

Hope this helps.
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jun 19, 2006, 04:29 PM
    Pretty harsh wording, but If I was installing a panel I would install a grounding rod.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2006, 03:01 AM
    What wording would you suggest to convey the fact that long runs of copper has it's own resistance which adds to the total impedance of the circuit, and if the load is too great the resulting voltage at the end of the circuit can be less than will be effective and low voltage may damage equipment that can result in fire or injury to persons or property?

Or are the words "absolutely no ground rod " on the branch circuit the poster refers to offensive? Should I work on my sensitivity skills that will use different words that are not offensive but could result in the poster to misunderstand and install a ground rod on a branch circuit, which is not allowed by the National Electric Code on any branch circuit, that in the event of a ground fault, will not operate a circuit breaker or fuse due to the excessive impedance and double grounding of the main service?

Since you mention a panel, not sure why since the poster only refers to a branch circuit, a ground rod grounding the neutral would be required only if the feeder circuit does not have an equipment ground.

If you think this answer is harsh, then you may want to read some of my other answers. I tend not to use many touchy feely words to explain to laypeople that the electrical work they do may be done improperly and attempt to get them to think first, only spend the money necessary, and ask the right questions to get the right answers to have a completely perfect and proper installation to enjoy for many years, since electricity will burn buildings down and kill people.

It will become apparent that my answers are not intended to be popular, only to keep people and their loved ones alive for a long time, and not see fire apparatus in their front yard.
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jun 20, 2006, 04:18 PM
    Oh forgive me if I offended you. He doesn't mention branch circuit. I don't know what a sleep shack is but if it's 90ft away I would've put a panel out there.
    And installed a ground rod.
    swgardener Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2006, 04:23 PM
    Thank you both for your feedback.

I originally had a panel installed for a 100 amp circuit. Later realized that I did not need to put that much into a 12x16 foot shack (cabin which did have an 100 amp circuit at one time). I installed 6 outlets for lights and music for 1 circuit and a water pump for another circuit. The panel came with a grounding rod. My question was if I decided to run 2 90 foot long outdoor 12/2 wires in conduit would I loose resistance.

My comment on the ground rod was could I use that instead of ground at the main panel. I understand now that I should ground it to the main and keep it simple.

As too the harshness of your comments. You should not assume that people don't know what they are doing just because you are probably a union guy and they are asking a question just to double check their own work.

Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a screened porch/room [ 3 Answers ]

My husband & I are considering a screened porch to be attached (that's probably the only kind) to the house where there is a 10ft.x 18ft slab. It will be on the small side then, with a height just shy of 8ft. We are differing on the approx. cost. Before I call any companies... would anyone know...

Any Ideas For Porch Skirting? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. We are trying to decide what would look good as a skirting for our front porch. It previously had plain wood lattice and that has been removed. We have looked at vinyl lattice but would prefer something more solid. Has anyone had experience with stone (faux) veneer? Can't find a source for it....

Hampton Bay Porch Light [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay light that has curved glass and I need to know where I can purchase the glass.

Porch eroding away [ 1 Answers ]

My home is about 10 years old and the front porch is on a slope. Currently, there is no retaining wall (which I plan to add). Due to erosion over the past few years, the porch has begun to sink, pulling the molding away about 1/4 of an inch away from the brick above the door. You can see under...

Repair under front porch [ 3 Answers ]

We bought a five year old house that has a concrete front porch. The porch is only eight inches in height above the lead up sidewalk/walkway from the driveway (hope that makes sense) The builder who built the home did not put any concrete steps up to the porch Because of the only 8 inch...

View more questions Search