Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Korrupt44 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 06:10 PM
    Ancient cave painting
    I have a question regarding ancient cave paintings. Why do scholars believe that ancient cave paintings were created for a specific reason and not just decoration? I cannot find that anywhere. Thank you very much!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2008, 03:59 AM

Hi, Korrupt44!

Well, let's think about civilizations that did cave paintings. With some of those civilizations, might not they have had a need to document things in some way? Like, where things were located, what happened at a certain time of year according to the season, maybe a record of family events, how to do certain things, hunting, fishing, to tell a story, to describe what they thought about life and gods, etc.

They didn't have paper on which to write and colors that they found to use from the soft rocks and mixtures of soil and clay gave them a way that they could document things somehow.

Now, that's not a definitive or complete answer by any means, but just a little to give you to think about things for an elaborative answer to your question.

You also might want to click on the following searches.

Cave Paintings Meaning - Google Search

Cave Paintings Meaning Purpose - Google Search

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girl in a cave of green stones [ 3 Answers ]

This is the only thing I remember: It was a movie in the 80's and it was about the same year as the neverending story A girl entered a cave full of green stones that looked like emeralds and she had to choose 3 stones to figure out something. PLEASE its driving me crazy!!

The cave [ 9 Answers ]

Two American Indians and a Canadian were walking through the woods. All of a sudden one of the American Indians ran up a hill to the mouth of a small cave. 'Wooooo! Wooooo! Wooooo!' he called into the cave and listened closely until he heard an answering, 'Wooooo! Wooooo! Woooooo! ...

Movie about kids in a cave with aliens [ 2 Answers ]

There is a movie I watched as a kid about kids going in a cave and finding aliens there. It was kind of scary. Can anyone help me?

View more questions Search