Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Diane_VN20 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2006, 05:27 AM
    Clarifying opportunity costs!
    I understand the definition of "opportunity cost". However, I've got problem when linking between what I've learned and the practices. Therefore, could you please give me some examples which help me cover this problem? Thank you very much!
    manik chand dey Posts: 63, Reputation: 2

Oct 3, 2008, 11:48 PM
    In many cases some of the resources, including human, needed for a new project may be a part of the already existing business. Such resources have alternative uses.These alternative uses create opportunity cost-that is the cost for the existing business due to the new project.

For example some executives may be transferred to provide services to the new project.Is it cost free? Obviously not. The project has to be charged for these.As the business has transferred its executives to the new project, hence these executives had to be replaced by suitable personnels, for which the business has to incur an additional salary of Rs 1 lakh (say).
    Hence we can easily say the opportunity cost for the replaced executives is Rs 1lakh.

Similarly cost may be attached to other resources like buildings, plant, vehicles etc. based on the next best use or expenses incurred.

In real life situations it may be difficult to attach opportunity cost to all resources, especially those which do not have an alternative use.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fixed costs vs. Variable costs [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please check my answers. -Classify each of the following items of factory overhead as either a fixed or a variable cost. (Include any costs you consider to be semivariable within the variable category) a. Indirect labor- fixed costs could be variable under certain circumstances b....

Opportunity [ 15 Answers ]

Now that I'm single I have opportunities. I'm thinking of starting at work. There is a beautiful women here and I would like to ask her out. I believe I should introduce myself and ask if she would like to have a coffee outside work. What do you think. I have not dated anyone at work before but for...

Help - external costs [ 6 Answers ]

Okay. Here's a situation, and I cannot find any external costs. Can someone help me please? A huge superstore wants to open up in a small town. This will result in nearly all local SMEs to shut down, and will result in a net loss in employment. Also, the store is locating in a cheap, shoddy...

External costs [ 1 Answers ]

If a company chooses to outsource production to a cheaper country, what would be the external costs? I believe pollution in the new country would be, but how about the job loss in the initial country?

View more questions Search