Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhiannahunt Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Jan 11, 2009, 07:35 PM
    Ok... so we found out that there is another police report issued in October. The child was tooken to a hospital, because he "fell on his nose", the same hit that happened in June. We have the reports and pictures. By the middle of feb, we will have enough money to get a lawyer. 2500.00 dollars. She, the mother just called and said that her husband... the man that abuses the child may be laid off. And that they may transfer to another city in Washington... hours away from where they live now. We have no parenting plan and are wanting this lawyer, if they move... can we keep this lawyer or do we have to get one that is where he lives now. We are trying to Help me... idk what to do?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2009, 07:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rhiannahunt View Post
    Ok....so we found out that there is another police report issued in october. The child was tooken to a hospital, because he "fell on his nose", the same hit that happened in june. We have the reports and pictures. By the middle of feb, we will have enough money to get a lawyer. 2500.00 dollars. She, the mother just called and said that her husband...the man that abuses the child may be laid off. and that they may transfer to another city in washington....hours away from where they live now. We have no parenting plan and are wanting this lawyer, if they move....can we keep this lawyer or do we have to get one that is where he lives now. We are trying to Help me.....idk what to do?

You go to Court NOW - Family Court is user friendly - and get a custody/support/visitation order.

I don't understand how the child is being abused but you are waiting until mid-February when you can afford an Attorney.

I would have been standing on the Courthouse steps the first day the door opened.

Yes, you can keep her from moving but the more important thing is the safety of the child.

Jan 12, 2009, 11:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    You go to Court NOW - Family Court is user friendly - and get a custody/support/visitation order.

I don't understand how the child is being abused but you are waiting until mid-February when you can afford an Attorney.

I would have been standing on the Courthouse steps the first day the door opened.

Yes, you can keep her from moving but the more important thing is the safety of the child.
    Ok. Well is there a way that I can do this, We are married now. Do I have rights as a step mother
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2009, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rhiannahunt View Post
    Ok. Well is there a way that i can do this, We are married now. Do i have rights as a step mother

You have no rights - only the parents have rights. You can report the abuse to CPS, you can support the father, you can do whatever you can to protect the child.

Even if you marry, without adopting the child you will have no rights.

It's a sometimes unfortunate fact about step parenting.

Jan 12, 2009, 01:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    You have no rights - only the parents have rights. You can report the abuse to CPS, you can support the father, you can do whatever you can to protect the child.

Even if you marry, without adopting the child you will have no rights.

It's a sometimes unfortunate fact about step parenting.
    Ok. :) well CPS is involved. And don't help at all. SO I guess that we are on our own with this. We have a portfolio of pictures of abuse, and babysitting logs. We have the two police reports also. I think and hope that we have a chance at getting him. We have to get the lawyer in WA, and if they move in a week, do we have to get the lawyer where they will live, then?

Jan 16, 2009, 03:19 PM

Well my husband and I just hired a awesome attorney, We are so excited. We are hiring him for 2200.00 dollars! Wish us lots of luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Legal age in Indiana to stop child support for a child in college [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know when I can legally stop paying support on my step son who is going to be 22 and is still in college

Unborn child confusion [ 4 Answers ]

Ok Here is my situation. I found out my husband has been fooling around and telling everyone, with the exception of me, that he wants a divorce. I wasn't going to take the news sitting down so I gathered evidence against him, concerning the fooling around, and went to a lawyer. I wanted so much to...

Confusion over Child tax credit with ITIN applied along with Tax returns for 1st time [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am Bala and I came to US last year April 2006 with my family. I came to US with H1B visa and my spouse and kid has H4. I am aware of the fact that I can claim Child tax credit if I have ITIN for my child. But since there is change is process that we can't apply for ITIN separately and...

View more questions Search