Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jani_jutt Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2006, 03:18 AM
    CD-ROM hangs my PC
    CD-ROM starts spinning and then stops repeatedly even if I do not insert any CD in it and computer hangs for a while during this process. Why is so ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 19, 2006, 06:07 AM
    I would hazard a guess that something in your system is checking the CD/ROM for some file. The problem is going to be finding out what.

Check your Startup (use MSCONFIG) and see if there is anything there that might be the culprit.
    jani_jutt Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2006, 03:25 AM
    Well... I've formatted the drive thrice, tried different OS (XP, 2000, 98) but the same problem appears... nothing in startup... but still the problem is there...
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Jun 21, 2006, 06:34 AM
    Can you try the cd rom drive in another machine? Sounds like it's time for a new one!
    Flintstones1962 Posts: 53, Reputation: 2

Jun 22, 2006, 05:20 AM
    Hello,
    I've had the same problem serveral times on different machines, I've replaced the CD-r with another good one, and the problem disappeard.
    Inserted the same CD-r ( the one which was causing the problem ) in another computer and got the same problem, so that will say simply that the CD-r is faulty.

Greetings

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

XP hangs at the startup logo [ 5 Answers ]

When I open my computer-(Athlon AMDXP2000)-Motherboard ECSK7S5PRO-Memory 256-DDR-PC333-Optical Mouse Keyboard PSII) XP hangs at the startup logo and will not move beyond that. There is no message or blue, black screen- just the Logo staring me in the face. Can anyone suggest anything at all,...

AC blower hangs [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Heil AC and gas heat system. The compressor is located outdoors and the remainder of the system is in the attic. The problem is that sometimes the blower continues to run after the compressor has stopped and the delay time has expired. The compressor will not restart and the blower will...

System hangs [ 2 Answers ]

The problem started yesterday when I open warcraft3.. the system hangs! I format my hdd,installed win xp pro service pack 1 thinking that will solved my problem.. but nothing happens,same problem occur when trying to play warcraft3.. I tried not to install the driver of my video card and it works!...

PC hangs due to DVD playing! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello All of you.. Well I'm kind of freaked out due to this hanging of my PC whenever I do play a DVD on my SONY COMBO ( DVD + Writer ). I have tried different softwares like " Cyberlink PowerDvD , NVidia Player , Windows Media Player 8, Real One Player V 2.0 " but of no use. Each software plays...

Pc hangs in between games [ 1 Answers ]

Hi.. I've an 860 mhz, celeron PC, with 128 mb ram. I ve got hw accelerator card.I had loaded a Prince of Persia 3d game in my PC. It ran very well in the beginning. But all of sudden PC started hanging in between games. Now this habbit has grown so strong that now even the dos version of it hangs...

View more questions Search