Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CARA1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 01:11 PM
    Trying to conceive after 2 years
    I need help.

My husband and myself have been trying to conceive for the last 2 years with out any success. We have tried having intercourse every couple of days and just trying around when ovulation is supposed to occur (around 14 days after start of period). I have lost weight and exercising more to no prevail either. Last month I tried ovulation tests but this is too expensive for us to continue with. I have periods starting around 11-17th of every month which makes it a bit hard to predict ovulation?

We were thinking about going to the doctor in the new year but wanted to wait in case we could try something by ourselves first.

Any help or answers very welcome.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2008, 03:06 PM

Well I would definitely suggest to see your doctor... but until then there are some other things you could try.

You should definitely get the book "Taking Charge of your Fertility" by Toni Weschler. This is a fantastic books and tells you many ways to help you get pregnant naturally. You can chart you BBT (basal body temp) or use ovulation tests. BBT is explained in the book or you could Google it, but basically if you chart your waking body temp you can determine when you ovulate, thus be better able to predict when you should ovulate in later months. When you ovulate you release a heat-emitting hormone that raises your temp. You will see this on your chart :)
    Ovulation Calendar and Ovulation Chart - FertilityFriend.com is a great site you can use to track your temps :)

Also, I know you said you tried ovulation tests but they are too expensive. You should try this site... I use them (and know many others that do) and they work great and are way less expensive.
    Early Pregnancy Tests and Ovulation Predictor Kits for Home Use

Most importantly, stay relaxed and try not to stress... I know it's hard, I have been suffering with "unexplained infertility" for about 2 years. But I am currently on fertility meds to help. So keep trying, but I would definitely say to get into your doctor to get help :)
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2008, 04:19 PM

I think it is best to see a doctor so your can get check out. You make some good changes in your life but have he made any? I would schedule an appointment sooner than later but I hope everything works out.

In the meantime this might help, I posted it before in another thread.It is important to include certain vitamins and minerals in your diet. Try to include:
    Vitamin C and Antioxidants: these vitamins prevent sperm defects and boost sperm motility. They also reduce stress on your eggs and reproductive organs.
    Zinc: zinc deficiencies have been linked with reduced testosterone and semen levels.
    Calcium and Vitamin D: A daily, dose of these nutrients have been shown to help increase male fertility.

Things to avoid are:
    Alcohol: alcohol can reduce your fertility levels by up to 50%. It can also decrease sperm count and increase the production of abnormal sperm.
    Caffeine: caffeine, found in coffee, teas, cola, and chocolate, has been proven to reduce both male and female fertility levels.
    Xenoestrogens: xenoestrogens are estrogens found in environmental chemicals and pesticides. Produce and other foods can have high levels of xenoestrogens, which, if ingested, may disturb your balance of hormones. Imbalaced hormones are often the cause of fertility issues.
    Also smoking can delay it because of chemicals in cigarettees.
    april k Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Nov 16, 2008, 09:26 PM

Check out the book "Take Charge of Your Fertility", there's good advice in there.

Dr April
    aneangel22 Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Nov 20, 2008, 08:07 AM

I know exactly where you're coming from! My husband and I have also been trying for a little over 2 years. What type of ovulation test do you use? I use the target brand and 7 come in a box and it's only about 10 bucks. My dr told me to get the cheap ones because they work just as good as the expensive ones. Sure enough they do. She also put me on chlomide, a drug that is supposed to help induce ovulation, for 3 months but sadly I was in the 20% of women that it didn't help. You should definitely talk to a dr about that! It's only 9 bucks a month for the pills, and 80% of women end up pregnant within 3 months if used correctly. I also got those at the target pharmacy.

Also, going to a dr could help you locate your problem and get it fixed! I hope you have better luck that we are though. I have one daughter that was an accident and not expected. We were together for 4 years before we had her and never used any kind of birth control, so it took 4 years for her!! That time was easier for me because it was a big unexpected surprise. Now that I have the bug and it's been two years it's taken a much bigger toll on me and I'm trying my best to stay positive through the whole thing.

GOOD LUCK!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to conceive [ 1 Answers ]

I heard a rumor that geritol can increase the chances of getting pregnant. Is this true? I thought geritol was for senior citizens.:confused: :confused:

Trying to conceive after depo. 4 years later. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello.. My name is Jessica.. Im 22 years old.. I have an almost 6 year old daughter.. I was on depo from when she was a month old.. Until she was 2 years old.. It is now almost 4 years later and Im still trying to get pregnant with a baby.. Im getting married in June of 09 and Im very worried that...

Trying to conceive [ 1 Answers ]

Will Kama Sutra brand edible oil used for oral sex inhibit conception the same way most lubricants can? I'm asking if it harms sperm if you are trying to conceive. It's not being used as a lubricant, just for tastier foreplay.

Trying to conceive [ 33 Answers ]

Hello All, Me and my fiancé have been trying to conceive since Jan 2006 NO LUCK, YET. I went to the doctor and they said everythig looked fine, normal. And I;m am not sure whyw e are not getting pregnant yet, its very stressful, and hard to understand. I don't get how many people get pregnant so...

View more questions Search