Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sturoc Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 12:59 PM
    External drive swap
    Been using a Seagate usb 2.0 ext drive on my dsktop w/ W2k pro
    And at times swapped the ext drive to an XP home dsktp via USB with no problems.
    Tried to swap over to my old Laptop -XP Pro with USB 1.0 window opens saying 2.0 device will operate slow into a 1.0 port ( no problem really) another pop up says drive needs to be formatted?
    It already is as I use it no problem with the other pc's.
    Any Ideas ?
    Thanks,
    Stu
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2008, 07:46 PM

Just ignore the message and use as normal - it could be it does not recognize the 2.0 standard and assumes it is an empty drive

Nov 11, 2008, 08:32 PM
    That was the first thing I tried to do . But when I clicked on the drive icon it kept giving me the format message. Format ?Yes /or No ? I clicked no .

Could this be a driver issue?
    The ext drive though was plug and play on the other PC.
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2008, 08:39 PM

Let me get you link to 2.0 drivers, this may help out

Link to 2.0 drivers

VIA USB 2.0 Driver 2.7 download for Windows

In the extracted files there is an installation doc but there is a setup.exe for the installation

Nov 11, 2008, 09:47 PM
    I'll give this a shot and let you know. I did ck the driver in hardware profile and did a search for driver and it came up no new driver needed. In that profile it did see Seagate usb storage device. But again every time I try to connect to it that damn pop up format questions comes up.
    Thanks
    Stu
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2008, 10:31 PM

Check device mgr under USB controllers

If 2.0 is installed, there will be one controller named
    Enhanced controller, if there is no enhanced controller you would only have 1.0 drivers isntalled

Hopefully this will get the 2.0 recognized in device mgr

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Re-using a 3.5 HD as an external USB drive [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to re-use a 3.5 inch HD that I removed from a PC running XP Professional, as an external USB mass storage device on a new PC running Vista home premium. Although the new PC self-installed the necessary drivers I cannot get it to recognise the drive in the computer option. Could this...

Programs on external drive [ 1 Answers ]

The mother board on my gateway is fried, the geek squad recommened an external hard drive, I did that now cannot access programs. I want to be able to use Frontpage which I do not have on my current computer. Is there a way to gain access to programs?

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Laptop hard drive swap? [ 3 Answers ]

My Aunt gave me her old laptop, which works well, but the top will not stay up. It makes it almost impossible to use. My mother bought a used laptop, which is beautiful, but the hard drive is crashing, and so it's almost completely unusable. I was wondering if it would be possible to swap out...

Help with a external drive [ 6 Answers ]

I have an external hard drive can I install a virus program on it so that I can take it to another system and then run the virus program on that system. Will this be a problem because the drive letter will change or will it not matter because the file structure will not change only the drive...

View more questions Search