Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oldcurios Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 11:02 AM
    Has Medicare and VA disability Does he need MEDIGAP?
    My husband is covered (will be) under Medicare. He is also covered under VA with a 60 percent disability - (his meds are free).

If he loses his cobra, should he get medigap coverage, or is his coverage sufficient?
    missrel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2008, 03:11 PM
    I currently am a medicare sales agent for a health insurance company in NY State. Medicare (opriginal Medicare, Parts A and B) don't cover everything. There are large deductibles that he will have to meet before they offer coverage at all and then Medicare will only cover up to 80% of services, which in certain situations.. i.e. a hospital stay or extensive surgery... can really add up. VA will normally cover an individual. From what I hear some VA hospitals/providers don't really offer the greatest of benefits and you are specifically restricted to VA hospitals and/or doctors. Also the prescription coverage offered by VA is limited. It probably won't hurt to look into some suipplemental coverages offered in your area. The premiums for individual coverage may be relatively low and then he will have the option to use VA and/or use the supplemental insurance as a backup if not satisfied with the VA. Hope this helps some. Good luck!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 13, 2008, 03:36 PM

If he lives close to a VA hospital, never travels away from the hospital area, if he has a VA doctor that he is treated by, there is no real problem,

But if he ever gets treated by a non VA doctor, or has to go to a non VA hospital, he will need it, or he will have fairly extenstive charges.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get disability? [ 3 Answers ]

For the past month and a half I have not been able to work due to stomac pain, headaches and vomiting. I had a job for three years and then worked somewere else were I had to leave after just 3 months because I was sick all the time. I got a other job but was only able to work for like 2 days. Now...

Should I file for s.s. Disability when I have private long-term disability insurance? [ 1 Answers ]

I will shortly begin collecting private long-term diability insurance to the tune of 60% of my former salary. Can I still apply for social security disability? If I do, would either or both of these be decreased?

Ssi disability [ 1 Answers ]

I live in North Carolina and filed bankruptcy in 2001 and confident I will win my disability case, can IRS or anyone get any of my settlement or monthly check. Any help will be appreciated

Spousal Early Retirement & Medicare Disability Ind. [ 1 Answers ]

My husband took early retirement at age 56 from a worldwide company. He signed up for his group health insurance to be continued for both of us. I am on Medicare through being disabled for 3 years prior to his retirement. After 1 year 1 month on retirement his Benefits dept. is saying Medicare...

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

View more questions Search