Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kevinpam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 10:19 AM
    Can I purchase a home with a mortgage on a land contract?
    Can I purchase a home in Michigan on a land contract if the current owner has a mortgage on the home?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 11, 2008, 11:16 AM

Yes. I would, however, have language put into the contract that requires the seller to keep the mortgage up to date.
    lauren6318 Posts: 36, Reputation: -3

Nov 11, 2008, 01:41 PM

You really need a lawyer for that one. I wouldn't do it. Can you assume his mortgage? If he defaults, the mortgage company (who technically owns the property) will take it from you in a second. They don't care what agreement you had with the owner.

Think about it - I can't sell my brand new car to you while I owe $$ on it, because I don't technically own it yet. You can pay me for it but I can't give you title until the lien clears.

This sounds very fishy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home in Purchase Contract put up for Sheriff Sale [ 1 Answers ]

I am in Pennsylvania. I did not have the foresight to have a lawyer review my contract before I signed it. The closing date I have signed up for is 2/18/08 and they have listed the house for Sheriff Sale on 2/22/08. The house was put up for Sheriff Sale by the Mortgage Company after the drafting...

Getting out of a land purchase contract [ 1 Answers ]

We recently signed a contract to purchase a substantial amount of acreage for a specific purpose. We were not educated in this process, and trusted the sellers' and realtors' verbal word as well as tax record on the amount of acreage we would be purchasing. The contract was signed prior to the...

Can I get out of my contract for new home purchase? [ 2 Answers ]

We signed a contract with a builder for a new home with no contigencies. Then, 2 weeks later, our house we were selling didn't close. Now we're stuck with a contract to purchase, which the close date has past, no money to put down, and if we do even find a way to close, TWO mortgages. How can we...

Buyer Selling a home they have on Land Contract [ 4 Answers ]

I have a land Contract on the home we live in now. We are getting a new home. I have been told to sale the house we live in now. Pay off the Land Contract and keep the profit. Can you do this? How? Thanks

View more questions Search