Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bblairm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Lease renewal with Increase Deposits.
    Last year I signed a lease that stated that " the tenancy will be extended ...... for one additional 12 month tenancy at a $1200 rent per month." When the new lease was received there was a $75.00 per month increase. I didn't mind that so much howeever, they now want an additional $75.00 per month for the last month's rent and an additional non refundable pet deposit of $500.00. I paid $500 for this with the original lease and it did not mention that this charge would be recurring. It is mentioned in the new lease with the fee waived for the new lease period. Is this standard practice?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 11, 2008, 08:48 AM

Its not unusual to ask for an additional amount to make the amount of the security deposit equal to one month's rent. Same thing if you were required to pay the last month's rent up front.

But the pet deposit is a bit unusual. However, if its in the lease and you signed the lease...
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2008, 11:24 AM

Is this a management company or private individual?

Has there been damage from the pet?

You are free to not sign anything you don't agree to. Lots of management companies will do stuff like this - I haven't heard of it as much with private individuals. If you've been a good tenant and there's no damage I would certainly try to negotiate with them.

Also, check your state laws (there's a link for each in a "sticky" at the top of this forum.) In many state's it's now illegal to call ANY sort of deposit non-refundable. There may be ways around it - in some cases it may just be semantics (for example I can charge a non-refundable FEE, but not a DEPOSIT.),but it's worth checking into.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent increase with lease renewal [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a limit to the percentage of increase in rent with a lease renewal in Florida?

Lease renewal - roommate hasn't signed new lease but will not leave or pay rent. [ 6 Answers ]

My roommate/best friend and I have lived in the same three bedroom apartment in New Jersey for 4 years. This past year we took in a 3rd roommate that we had met through friends. Upon her moving in the 3rd roommate signed the current lease agreement, which is now due to end in a few days. About...

Lease Renewal [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I signed a lease in July of 2005. After one year, the lease states that it "renews itself." I spoke with someone who stated that it is illegal to renew a lease for a full year if a new lease is not signed, meaning that when the first year is up, the lease turns from a year lease to...

Increase in security deposits [ 1 Answers ]

THE STATE LAW IN NEW JERSEY ABOUT INCREASES IN SECURITY DEPOSITS SAYS A LANDLORD Ccn only raise your security deposit once a year no more then 10% on current deposit. I've lived in this park for 43 YRS. This is my second mobile home here. My currant deposit is $90 he wants to raise it $364.00 more....

Rent Increase at Lease Renewal [ 3 Answers ]

I live in California and I need to know how much the rent can be increased when renewing a lease. I do not live in a rent controlled area.

View more questions Search