How to connect 2 laptops on Vista with crossover cable
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 11, 2008, 08:39 AM

You need to manually configure each PC with an IP address
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2008, 09:08 AM

Actually you don't have to manually configure an IP address. If you configure both to use DHCP a random address in a particular range will automatically be assigned even if you don't have a DHCP server on the network. I forget the RFC that explains it.

It might be easier if you configure your own IP address, but it's not essential.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting laptop to laptop using crossover cable [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently just bought a new laptop with Windows Vista.. and I am interested in transferring my files from the old laptop that uses Windows XP onto the new laptop. I purchased a crossover cable because I figured it would be the cheapest way to transfer. I am not too sure how to go about...

Connecting DVD/VCR to TV with cable but no cable box [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all! I'm trying to help my folks connect their Samsung DVD-V6700 (DVD/VCR combo) player to their Toshiba TV, model number 27AF45. They have cable TV, but no cable box. The coaxial cable is supposed to connect directly to the TV. How do I hook up the DVD/VCR player so both DVDs and VHS tapes...

Connecting dtv, cable box, to vcr/dvd to TV [ 2 Answers ]

I have Direct Tv, Medicom Cable Box, I want to connect them to my vcr/dvd which does not have a built in tuner. I can get one or the other to record, but not both with out unhooking the other. Can this be done?

Connecting to old cable TV [ 5 Answers ]

We bought our daughter and grandchildren a new DVD/VCR for Christmas. She wanted to replace the old VCR with the newer DVD/VCR. I never thought to check the TV (about 8 years old), thinking it was connected now, so would not be a problem to connect the new. She has digital cable, and it was all...

Backup laptop to desktop using crossover cable [ 2 Answers ]

I want to backup the hard drive on my laptop to the hard drive on my desktop. I have a crossover cable and ethernet ports in each computer. What settings do I need to setup?

View more questions Search