Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    houseflipper Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 07:48 AM
    Using Primer as a ceiling paint
    I am redoing my bathroom by myself and have primed the ceiling with Behr Water Based Primer and Sealer. My husband wants me to leave it. He says that will serve as ceiling paint also. It is in a small bathroom off the master bedroom and has no fan for ventilation. I think I should use ceiling paint on top of the primer. Does anyone have an answer for me? Thanks!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2008, 07:57 AM

Hi, houseflipper!

Using a primer as the only coating that's used in other areas of a home is okay sometimes, but in a bathroom where there's moisture that will build up on the walls and ceilings, you're going to need at least a couple coats of a paint on top of a primer that's got some sheen to it, like at least a satin or semi-gloss so that it can be washed and also be resistant to the moisture.

Primers are formulated so that other types of paint will stick to them. They really aren't generally meant to be used as a top coat. Sometimes they are used for that purpose, but in your particular situation, I wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks!

Nov 11, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, houseflipper!

Using a primer as the only coating that's used in other areas of a home is okay sometimes, but in a bathroom where there's moisture that will build up on the walls and ceilings, you're going to need at least a couple coats of a paint on top of a primer that's got some sheen to it, like at least a satin or semi-gloss so that it can be washed and also be resistant to the moisture.

Primers are formulated so that other types of paint will stick to them. They really aren't generally meant to be used as a top coat. Sometimes they are used for that purpose, but in your particular situation, I wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks!
    This is my first time on this site. I'm not sure how to respond to this answer so I'll try this! :) I bought Behr ceiling paint to use over the primer, is this going to be OK, or should I go buy a semi-gloss instead? Thank you for your help!

Nov 11, 2008, 08:16 AM

This is my first time on this site. I'm not sure how to respond to this answer so I'll try this! I bought Behr ceiling paint to use over the primer, is this going to be OK, or should I go buy a semi-gloss instead? Thank you for your help!
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2008, 08:25 AM

You're doing okay here, but I would suggest deleting your repeated post. When first getting used to how to use a site, it can be confusing. I remember how confused I was when I first started posting on this site, so I know how you feel!

If the paint that you have is flat, then I would advise going with at least a satin or semi-gloss. For me, I would be using a semi-gloss.

Thanks!

Nov 11, 2008, 08:35 AM
    Thank you for your help and advise. I will be making another trip to the paint store to return and buy again! Lol Maybe you could advise me on the painting of my walls. I used venetion plaster with a looped roller to give the bathroom a stucco look. The walls have cured for a couple of weeks now and I am ready to paint. Is there a particular brand of paint that you prefer and what type of gloss would you recommend? Thanks again. :)
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2008, 08:47 AM

I like to use Sherwin-Williams products. One of the things that I do for a living is that I'm a house painter. Sherwin-Williams also makes Dutch Boy. When I paint for others, I always insist on using either of those brands so that I can guarantee my work.

I would go with a semi-gloss. Latex would be fine. You would need to apply at least two coats in order for the job to look the best.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2008, 09:05 AM

I'd recommend getting the powdered mildewcide to add to the paint when painting a bathroom.

Nov 11, 2008, 11:17 AM
    Thanks everyone for all of your help. I went out and bought Sherwin Williams Semi-Gloss for ceiling, Behr Kitchen and Bathroom for the walls and semi-gloss for the vanity cabinet. If I need to change anything, you need to contact me fast, because I am getting ready to start on the task at hand. :) Thanks again!
    tasmanvil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2013, 06:19 AM
    Can primer be used as a ceiling paint

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using Ceiling Paint as Primer [ 14 Answers ]

I've go a ton of left over off-white ceiling paint. Can I use that as a primer for newly constructed drywall walls, or would that be, well, stupid? Or at the very least, a waste of time.

Primer and Paint [ 3 Answers ]

I have put primer over a black wall and want to paint it orange. The problem is I put 4 coats of paint and it's not covering.I have A thick expensive paint and don't understand.I was told to put More coats until it's covered.Is this what I should do?

Using ceiling paint as a primer [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted to know if it is OK to use ceiling paint as a primer on my wall that was just spackled?

View more questions Search