Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ahmedadam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 06:21 AM
    Marketing department Responsibilities
    What are the main Responsibilities of marketing department?
    Please send me sample Job description of marketing department.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 11, 2008, 06:48 AM

I am sure this is a homework assignment and in school you will be taught a pure black and white meaning to a department,

In real life, it is not so, each company may assign all sorts of duties to various departments, with other levels of responsibility and authority.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Dec 5, 2008, 02:03 AM

Over simplifying explanations:

Marketing: making them aware

Sales: putting the product/service in their hands
    TheWildflower Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jan 10, 2009, 10:20 AM
    Most of the time when people ask me that question it's because they really want clarity on the difference between sales, marketing, advertising and public relations. Here's a pretty good answer to them all;

It's easy to become confused about these terms: advertising, marketing, promotion, public relations, publicity, and sales. The terms are often used interchangeably. However, they refer to different -- but similar activities. Some basic definitions are provided below. As an entertainer or public speaker you can apply the same principles (and similar strategies) when seeking to increase your fan base and supporters. A short example is also provided at the end of this list of definitions which will hopefully help to make the terms more clear to the reader.

One Definition of Advertising
    Advertising is bringing a product (or service) to the attention of potential and current customers. Advertising is focused on one particular product or service. Thus, an advertising plan for one product might be very different than that for another product. Advertising is typically done with signs, brochures, commercials, direct mailings or e-mail messages, personal contact, etc.

One Definition of Promotion
    Promotion keeps the product in the minds of the customer and helps stimulate demand for the product. Promotion involves ongoing advertising and publicity (mention in the press). The ongoing activities of advertising, sales and public relations are often considered aspects of promotions.

One Definition of Marketing
    Marketing is the wide range of activities involved in making sure that you're continuing to meet the needs of your customers and getting value in return. Marketing is usually focused on one product or service. Thus, a marketing plan for one product might be very different than that for another product. Marketing activities include "inbound marketing," such as market research to find out, for example, what groups of potential customers exist, what their needs are, which of those needs you can meet, how you should meet them, etc.

Inbound marketing also includes analyzing the competition, positioning your new product or service (finding your market niche), and pricing your products and services. "Outbound marketing" includes promoting a product through continued advertising, promotions, public relations and sales.

One Definition of Public relations
    Public relations includes ongoing activities to ensure the overall company or entertainer has a strong public image. Public relations activities include helping the public to understand the company and its products. Often, public relations are conducted through the media, that is, newspapers, television, magazines, etc. As noted above, public relations is often considered as one of the primary activities included in promotions.

One Definition of Publicity
    Publicity is mention in the media. Organizations usually have little control over the message in the media, at least, not as they do in advertising. Regarding publicity, reporters and writers decide what will be said.

One Definition of Sales
    Sales involves most or many of the following activities, including cultivating prospective buyers (or leads) in a market segment; conveying the features, advantages and benefits of a product or service to the lead; and closing the sale (or coming to agreement on pricing and services). A sales plan for one product might be very different than that for another product.

Hope this helps!:)

Sincerely,

Wildflower
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jan 10, 2009, 10:40 PM

Wildflower, you are welcome it was a good post.

Clough has been a valuable asset to this site for almost two years and knowing him I know that his intend was not malicious nor was it an attack. Your post was very informative and I am sure helpful to the OP and to anyone that read it. And that is the point that Clough was making. He actually wanted you to keep posting and with your knowledge many will benefit, I believe. We are happy and fortunate that we attract many knowledgeable people in many fields that are willing to share their experience and wisdom.

So I would like to see you post in the future and share. And take my word for it, Clough is a straight shooter that has helped many of the masses here on the Desk. It is easy sometimes to misunderstand someones' intent but Clough intent was for the good of the other posters.

Welcome to the site,

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Department of Peace [ 13 Answers ]

Do you think with a possible Obama Presidency and a possible Democrat fillibuster/veto proof majority in Congress ,that the cabinet level Dennis Kucinich initiative 'Dept of Peace ' will be passed and signed into law ? GovTrack: H.R. 808: Text of Legislation, Introduced in House The Peace...

Arbitration department [ 2 Answers ]

I Need Help Please This Is My First Time On This Site.im Sorry If I Put This In The Wrong Spot But I Need Help.got This Letter In The Mail From An Old Credit Card Debt Yes Its Mine.it From Citibank And It Says Notice That Your Delinquent Account Has Been Sent To Our Arbitration Department For...

Sales and marketing department [ 2 Answers ]

Project: My company has developed a product that is guaranteed to be successful in any country that has a substantial population. The sales and marketing department would like you to do some research and find out what countries would be the most ideal markets for your new product. 750 words...

WHAT are the main functions of the marketing department? [ 2 Answers ]

WHAT are the main functions of the marketing department?

Police Department [ 1 Answers ]

I have been told that I could not be hired for a position at the local police department (City X, North Carolina) because I have a judgement sitting on my credit report. Why do they do that? I meet all other qualifications, and when I ask the reason isn't that I am not capable, but because I have...

View more questions Search