Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Nov 10, 2008, 02:29 PM
    Specific computer on network drops internet connection
    I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I have two computers connected by network cable to a Linksys Wireless Router and up to 3 other wireless computers connected to the network at various times.

The problem is with one of the wired computers, it intermittantly drops it's internet connection but the connection is fine on the other wired computer and the wireless computers if they are up and running.

Occasionally on the computer that drops the internet connection we get an error about an IP address conflict; but not all the time, this is much more rare but I thought I would mention it since it could be related.

We've tried unplugging the router and the cable modem and replugging them in, etc. and occasionally this helps but the problem continues to resurface with this one computer.

Does anyone know exactly what is going on and can advise us what to do to fix it?

Thank you in advance.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 10, 2008, 02:32 PM
    Check all the IP settings on your machines.
    To avoid any conflicts set them all for dynamic addressing of a few months and go from there.
    The Rev Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 02:06 AM

I agree with Curlyben. Another thing to check is that the router is set up to use DHCP (it must be if all the systems are getting IP addresses), but also that it is able to issue enough IP addresses at one time for all of the systems.
    Basically, one of the systems thinks it belongs on a certain IP address all the time, say 192.168.0.2, and all of the computers will get IP's based on the order they are connected to the network. Computer 1 might get 192.168.0.2, Computer 2 would get 192.168.0.3, etc.
    If Computer 1 thought that is was ONLY supposed to get the IP that another system has already connected and received, then it will give the IP conflict error, and will only connect if the other system has no network traffic at that exact moment.
    To fix this, you have to make sure that all of the systems are configured to use DHCP, and to dynamically receive an address (round-robin technique of who connects first, gets the first available IP address), and this can be located in the local connection on each machine as well (make sure nothing is "hard-coded" or typed specifically in their connections for an IP address).

I hope that helps, let us know how it goes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I share Internet Connection in Network [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have once Pc and one Laptop.Both are connected through ethernet card and are running winxp.I have networked them both .Files are shared but Internet connection can't be shared. Please help me about this. ANd Thanks

Specify a network connection for internet access [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 network adapters installed on my computer, and each is plugged into a separate network. I need to use internet access from one network and use file sharing from the another, the both networks have internet access but I don't want to access internet through the adapter which I'm tending to...

Sharing two internet connection to connect one network [ 1 Answers ]

In our company we can use two internet connection, one is satellite and other is DSL connection ? DSL connection connect to juiper SSG 20 firewall then connect to 3 com switch. 2nd Satellite connection is connected to ISA 2006 server then connected to 3com switch? Both connection connected to...

Internet connection on a wireless network [ 1 Answers ]

I finally got my wireless connected but when I try to go on the internet I get "No page found". I talked to the ISP and they said it was a router problem. There are 3 other devices on the router and there are no problems with them. What do I need to do?

Sharing internet connection on wireless network (ad hoc) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi this is my first post on here and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a PC and a laptop both with wireless cards. I've managed to connect the 2 and have good signal. I went into my internet connection settings and clicked the check box "allow others to connect through this...

View more questions Search