Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rrobbie100 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2008, 12:52 PM
    TX Abandonment laws
    What are the TX laws concerning an apartment that has been abandoned?
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2008, 07:29 AM

Well, the way it works with the TAA (Tx Apt. Assn.) lease is that we leave a notice that if they don't contact us within 48 hours we will consider the unit abandoned and store or dispose of any remaining property according to the lease. There are criteria that must be met. (Going from memory) 1. Rent must be due and unpaid for 5 days (any amount - doesn't have to be a whole month's worth). 2. A substantial amount of their belongings (I think it states clothes, beds, other furniture - can't remember what else) have been removed. 3. Utilities have been disconnected and/or transferred out of their name.

There's another one I can't think of. The TAA lease completely follows the TX prop. Code, so I'm sure that's all within the law.

The bottom line is that if you're trying to use the abandonment angle just because they haven't paid and are dodging you, you could run into BIG problems if they tried to come back on you for an illegal eviction. (That's where those criteria must be met.) If they pretty much for sure are gone, just leave the notice on the inside of their front door and after 48 hours you're free to retake possession.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abandonment laws in VA? [ 15 Answers ]

First off, I would like to say ahead of time that I am looking for serious answers to my questions, and not people's opinions on what they feel about the situation. I have read other people's Q's and A's on here and some people tend to give cruel and very opinionated feedback of their points of...

Any abandonment laws in ca? [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a child abandonment law for dead beat dads in California? My son is 5 years old and does not know his father, and he does not or never has received child support from him. I haven't heard from his father in over 4 1/2 years. He is a alcoholic, and I am fine with him not paying any child...

Child abandonment laws [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I live in Illinois. He has joint cusody of his 3 children with his exwife. He was paying almost 50% of his check for child support, and picking them up on the weekends. As of Feb of 2006 he was injured on the job, and hasn't worked since. His ex wife dropped the children off March...

Child abandonment laws [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancé would like me to adopt her four year old son, as would I. The child's father has only seen him a couple times and has had no contact with him in a year. He only pays his child support to get out of jail or else to keep from going to jail he will make a quick payment to save his own butt!...

View more questions Search