Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kasey54 Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2008, 11:27 AM
    rasing ceiling
    my ranch has very low 90 inch ceilings. I'd like to do one of two things. I understand the integrity of the roof thing. At the very least I'd like to raise the ceiling joists by 6 inchs in one 12 foot x 16 foot room. 4/12 pitch 2 x 6 joists resting on top place, nailed to rafters. House is 24 feet wide, most rooms the joists join in the middle over the center wall. This room abuts an 8 ffot room behind it where the joists are joined. Pretty typical for a ranch. All I would do is attach new joists, wider if necessary up six inchs on the rafters and raise the wall where they join 6 inches so they rest even. Ideally I would raise it 2 feet and run a 20 foot 2 x 6 from rafter to rafter front to back and raise the center wall. I would even put a beam under the ridge if necessary, as there is a clear path down to the foundation. I've read over a hundred posts on different boards and no one will say yea or nae. Answer is always consult a structural engineer. Someone must have done this as there are a lot of inquiries about it. Thanks for any help.
    Home repair Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Nov 11, 2008, 10:33 AM
    Sounds like what you want to do would result in the ceiling being held by nails into the sides of the rafters, and not resting on the outside walls.

This would not be to code, and all the weight would be held by nails and not the bearing walls.

It may work, but not up to standard building practices.

Good luck Roger
    kasey54 Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 09:48 AM
    Thanks for the input, never thouht about the ceiling just the roof support. Room is 12 x 16, I suppose I could run a beam under the new height. Anyone raised their ranch ceiling before.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling Paint is peeling while painting ceiling. [ 5 Answers ]

While painting the ceiling the wet paint is peeling the old paint in different areas of the ceiling... It has been raining a long period... Could that be it? This is only happening in the bathroom... It did not happen in the kitchen except under the newly installed light fixture... The living room...

Ceiling light on makes ceiling fan turn off [ 6 Answers ]

I installed 2 ceiling fans yesterday in two separate and am having the same problem with both. Before I removed the old fans I disconnected 1 wire at a time from the ceiling to see what stopped working. So I think one wire is the neutral and made both light and fan stop working, 1 wire was for...

Water mark with mold on ceiling of 1st floor ceiling [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I've just noticed a fairly large water mark with mold in the center located on the ceiling of a downstairs closet - I believe the closet sits below an upstairs shower. I'm a new home owner and would appreciate your advice on what sort of questions I need to ask a plumber to resolve...

Fund rasing [ 2 Answers ]

I just started college. I was raised by a single mother who was only able to minimally help me with college tuition. I applied for every type of financial aid available but still have a hefty balance. My mother is really over extending herself trying to afford me the opportunity but it can't see...

Hanging ceiling fan from vaulted ceiling peak [ 2 Answers ]

Want to install Hampton Bay's Berlini model 729395 on a cathedral ceiling with a single ridge beam. Want to hang fan from the peak and there's not enough room for the canopy to cover the hanger bracket. Is there any extenders for this?

View more questions Search