Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    needcredhelp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2008, 11:16 AM
    Wife getting sued by First Resolution Investment Corporation. How to proceed?
    My wife was served yesterday with a Summons to appear in court next year because of a debt. We are in California, and the statute of limitations is 4 years here. The plaintiff is First Resolution Investment Corporation, whom I've heard has no qualms filing frivolous law suits. They are being represented by Gordon and Wong Law group. The amount is only about $3000 after attorney's fees are factored in. It doesn't seem worth it to hire a lawyer if we're just going to end up having to pay anyway.

My issues:

1) I need to file a response to the court within 30 days and serve the plaintiff with the response within 60 days. The court has a website with help for the proper documents, but what should I be considering when writing my response?

2) I think we MAY be past the statute of limitations, but I'm not certain. How do I request that they show me the evidence for their suit? As far as I know, the original creditor still owned the debt the last time we had any contact with a creditor. It's been a while, but I'm not sure how long.

3) The irony is that we've been attempting to repair our credit and would have been contacting them with an offer to settle. Now that we've been served, I'm feeling more inclined to let this one drop off if we've no obligation to pay it. If it turns out there's no obligation to pay for it, I think we should counter-sue. Are there any good lawyers who take on these cases or do you know of any class action suits against FRIC?

4) Is there anything else I should be considering?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 10, 2008, 11:20 AM

Have you read through the threads here? Most of your question can be answered by reading through other people's similar expreiences.

You respond the summons with your Intent to Defend. If you have to cite a reason its because you are not sure the debt is valid. You then request verification of the debt from the plaintiff.
    mlr08 Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Nov 10, 2008, 09:50 PM

Check out this very resourceful article about the crucial first steps to take when served a summons at: Served a Summons Or Credit Card Debt Lawsuit - Don't Call the Creditor!

You definitely want copies of old credit reports and try to figure out if the creditor re-aged the account at any point. Remember that cc debt is considered "open" debt according to the Federal Truth in Lending Act.

You can and should fight this yourself. When pressed for documentation many of these third party collectors quickly fold and move on to their next default target.

Good luck!
    mlr08 Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Nov 10, 2008, 09:52 PM
    Oh, and I forgot that in answer to your question, yes you can demand proof of debt documents, statements, etc. This is generally done during the "Discovery" phase of a lawsuit. Basically, after you send your answer either party can initiate discovery. You can then send them a Request for Production of Documents and they have 30 days to respond. All "discovery" documents can be admitted as evidence during a hearing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Served a summons/being sued for credit card debt/first time being sued [ 2 Answers ]

I have been served a summons by first class mail of a lawsuit against me by an asset collection agency on behalf of a credit card company. The asset company has purchased the debt,in an amount just over $1000. My question is how do I proceed as I have never been sued before. I currently am...

Wife being sued by landlord after husband moved out [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I went into a contract to Lease to Own a house. During the time we lived there we got behind on the payments for the deposit and he moved out. Now the landlord has taken me to small claims to recover the money and now garnishing my wages. Is there anything I can do to have my ex...

My wife got sued [ 1 Answers ]

My wife got sued by Asset Acceptance Management LLC she never got served papers so she didn't know about a court date until a final judgement was put against her. I don't know what to do I was out of work 6 months had to take a low paying job am in loss mitigation with the mortgage company. My...

Wife being sued for credit card debt [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am not from the US and my mother in law told me that the sheriff put a subpoena on her door (for my wife) even though we don't live there anymore. My mother in law says that it has to be delivered in person to the right person, is this true? I wouldn't know. Apparently it is for a...

View more questions Search