Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scruffywash Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2006, 05:28 PM
    1999 honda accord won't start
    Hello,
    My accord won't start when I crank it up. I took it to the dealer and they said it was the ignition coil, but when I replaced it, I still have the same problem
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Jun 18, 2006, 02:18 AM
    You should always get them to sign the paper stating what is your problem. When you do what they state, and it doesn't fix your problem, make them return the money.
    Imacrown Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2011, 02:32 AM
    Could you give more details like does it click, do the ignition lights come on, etc.
    kauai kars Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2012, 07:04 PM
    My 99 honda only starts on sunny days
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2012, 04:39 AM
    Kauai kars, replace the distributor cap and the large O-ring going around the base of the distributor housing. I would also replace the spark plug wires. Moisture may be penetrating small breaks in the wires and shorting out the secondary.
    REE1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2013, 07:27 AM
    Hello,

I own a 1999 Honda Accord EX V6 the engine is turning over but will not crank for two days. What could possible be going wrong with my vehicle? Please help me
    Kharris485 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2013, 11:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CroCivic91 View Post
    You should always get them to sign the paper stating what is your problem. When you do what they state, and it doesn't fix your problem, make them return the money.
    Good luck trying to get your money back from a dealership. Anyway, I assume the dealership tested for spark and they found that the vehicle had no spark, that's why they recommended replacing the ignition coil. If you don't have access to testing equipment you might want to look for an ECM on Ebay or something. Just get the numbers off your ECM under the kick panel on the passenger side. Might cost around $80 - $100 and you can always resell it if it's not the problem.

Aug 16, 2013, 12:03 AM
    I did the opposite of what I recommended to you. I had no spark, so first I looked for an ECM online, found one, ordered it, put it in and still no spark. So, then I replaced the ignition coil under distributor cap and it started right up. I should have went with the coil first though. Anyway, I put the ECM up for sale and it sold within like a day. Used Honda parts are always in demand. If you look it up online the ECM controls spark, timing, fuel injectors, etc.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Aug 16, 2013, 04:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharris485 View Post
    I did the opposite of what I recommended to you. I had no spark, so first I looked for an ECM online, found one, ordered it, put it in and still no spark. So, then I replaced the ignition coil under distributor cap and it started right up. I should of went with the coil first though. Anyway, I put the ECM up for sale and it sold within like a day. Used Honda parts are always in demand. If you look it up online the ECM controls spark, timing, fuel injectors, etc.

The problem with these "shotgun" repairs (throwing a lot of things in and hoping one of them will work), they waste time, money and the possibility of introducing more problems with bad used parts. Buying an ECM to "try" is a dangerous proposition also. If you hook something up incorrectly and destroy that ECM, you have tossed away whatever you paid for it. It's never good to just guess and throw parts at things to fix them.

Aug 16, 2013, 07:14 AM
    I recommended this approach to people that don't have testing equipment and don't want to tow their car.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

92 Honda Accord Lx - Won't start hot [ 2 Answers ]

My 92 Honda Accord Lx starts fine when it is cold, but when it is hot it will not start.

1999 Honda accord electrical shuts off when driving [ 42 Answers ]

I have a 1999 Honda Accord that occasionately shuts off while driving down road. First thought it just ran out of gas but running out of gas would not shut all electrical systems down. Anyone have any ideas?

1999 honda civic won't start [ 12 Answers ]

My 99 honda civic has 160000 miles, never gave me any problems before, till yeaterday. I could not start the car, the starter turns over, but would not crank over, had to tow it to the local repair shop. The mechanic thought it was the distributor, but that wasn't it. He now thinks it's the...

1999 Honda Accord (4cyl) Whistle? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife has a 99 Honda Accord 4cyl, auto transmission car with 78k on it. The problem is it makes a whistle noise when slightly accelerating on the gas. The noise will go away when you step on the gas hard. You can clearly hear it cruising at 55mph. The car also only does it when it is warm. The...

Trouble starting 1999 honda accord [ 2 Answers ]

My 1999 honda accord does not start occasionly. About once a week, I don't get any start. I turn the key several times like I'm advancing the starter or something, and it will start fine. It takes anywhere from 4 to 15 attempts, but always starts. What is the most likely cause? Starter? Relay?...

View more questions Search