Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cstphard Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2008, 10:03 AM
    Can you charge an insurance company a fee for sending medical records
    Does anyone know if there are any provisions within HIPPA that allow a physician to charge insurance companies for copying and sending of medical records.

We receive a large amount of medical record requests from Insurance companies in order for them to establish pre-existing conditions.

I had heard through the "grapevine" that charging these companies a fee is acceptable and does not relieve them of their obligation to still pay the claim on a timely basis.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2008, 10:14 AM

I don't know about HIPAA allowing this copying charge but I do know that doctor's offices do charge a copying fee and a postage fee as well. They do it all the time to attorney's offices sometimes charging $1 a page plus postage. Each doctor's office charges differently. Even if a person wants a copy of their own medical records it will still cost them the copying charge.

The copying charge has nothing to do with paying their bill ontime.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file suit for release of my medical records I didn't authorize? [ 17 Answers ]

I just found out yesterday that my entire chart of my medical records was copied and sent to an auto insurance company for the other party that hit me last year. They are attempting to settle with me and told me that it has taken so long because they were sent 70 pages of my medical records. I...

Medical Records forgery [ 1 Answers ]

I worked for a medical practice in medical records and the physician would require us to alter records to prevent any legal action against him. What avenue can I pursue to turn him in for this?

Hipaa pertaining to release of medical records [ 4 Answers ]

Our patient's attorney is requesting all medical records. We do not release records we have obtained from prior providers. Are we obliged to send other provider's records? This is a large chart with prior provider's records.

Re medical Records request [ 10 Answers ]

This is complicated and I'm not sure the best way to proceed. My old roommate had Surgery at a LI hospital in about 1995 or 1996. She never got her records or Pathology. She moved back to the caribbean island she came from. She ended up With surgery but they mis-diagnosed her. She has no...

Medical records [ 1 Answers ]

Does HIPPA affect the person to have access to their medical records?

View more questions Search