Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 10, 2008, 09:55 AM
    Internet Protocol Version 6
    I recently read an article, written by Ken Deutsch, titled, "Is the Internet Doomed?"
    It spoke about the vast number of IP addresses being comsumed at an alarming rate.

I'm not talking about the domain names followed by dot-com or dot-net (URLs). We can have almost an infinite number ot those by adding wharever letters we want after the dots. I'm talking about he Internet Protocol (IP) numerical addresses underneath those that refer to the specific devices that are hooked up. Each cell phone has one, each computer has one and even microwaves now have them.
    The Sunday Times of London quotes several big-time scientists as saying that within three years this shortage of IP addresses will begin to cripple our use of the net. The Internet will slow down to a crawl, Then it won't work.
    The article states that while the prospect is scary, there is a solution. But it also states that the different versions aren't compatible.
    Do I hear the cash register's ringing up new sales for items like those mentioned above? Probably.

IPv6: The Next Generation Internet!

There's even a count-down clock for this event:

IPv4 Countdown
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 10, 2008, 10:02 AM

This issue has been getting closer to melt down. It used to be that ISPs could get by with a fraction of the IPs compared to subscribers. This was because, with dialup, only a small percentage of subscribers were online at any time. But with broadband, most people leave their modem on constantly so it uses an IP. With other IP related devices like cell phones and others. The number IPv4 addresses is dwindling.

Obviously the solution is IPv6 and they have been working on this solution for a long time. But because of compatibility issues its been slow at adoption.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help me---ora12560 tns protocol error [ 5 Answers ]

Hi every one am facing some problem regarding oracle 9i I have installed it on my PC with os xp and whenever I log in with 'scott" and "tiger" I get the error ora-12560 tns protocol error can some one please help me regarding this. Also I have tried editing tnsname.ora but I could hardly...

Probation protocol [ 1 Answers ]

My son was recently put on probation. He is presently living at our house. We have moved all alcohol out of common areas. We are planning (been in the works for quite a while) a party this weekend. My son will NOT be at the party. We are planning on having alcohol at the party. Can we ask...

What is protocol [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I have seen the terms like hyper text transfer protocol, tpc/ip protocol etc. Please tell me what this protocols are?

TCP UDP protocol [ 3 Answers ]

What is the different between the two above protocol and when and in what (standard) we base to assign the port

View more questions Search