Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    omgp3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2008, 11:26 PM
    Secuirty deposit refund
    My son & a friend rented an apartment. Roommate moved out without notice two months later. After 3 months of paying the rent on his own, my son gave 30 day notice and moved out. The landlord only wants to refund him half of the security deposit. Question - 1. if the roommate moved out without notice did he not forfeit his portion of the security deposit thereby making my son entitled for the full deposit. 2. After carefully looking at the contract the roommates name is not stated on the contract only my sons, but his signature appears on the contract.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2008, 08:01 AM
    Well, there are all kinds of ways this could go. Ultimately I believe it would come down to the EXACT wording of the lease, as well as a judge's interpretation of the contract.

Technically, it sounds like the lease was between the landlord and your son. Your son would then be able to go after the roommate to attempt to collect on whatever their agreement was. HOWEVER, I don't think it's totally out of the question that a judge could feel that since the roommate signed the contract - even though his name wasn't listed in the body of it - that he's still a party to the contract. So did the landlord say that he was planning to return half to your son and the other half to the roommate? Or is he keeping the "roomate's" half because he broke the lease?

Was the lease broken when your son gave notice and moved out, or was he just month-to-month?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deposit Refund [ 2 Answers ]

I lives in my apartment more than 1 year. My landlord gives me 60 days noticed to move out, so they can reconstructions a whole units. My landlord also wants to collect the rent up to the last day I leave. Do I have to pay my rents for the next 60 days? Thanks,

A refund on my deposit [ 5 Answers ]

If I didn't sign a contract can a car dealer keep a deposit on a vehicle

Pet Deposit Refund in CA. [ 3 Answers ]

We purchased a home in CA that was being rented. We allowed the tenant to stay for two months. At the conclusion, we had to take care of deposit and pet deposit refund. The tenant left dog poop all over the back yard. Not having a dog, this was very irritating and we decided not to refund the...

Deposit Refund [ 2 Answers ]

On February I put an add the newspaper to rent an apartment. This person went to see it and wanted it. But asked me if I could hold apartment for a month because he needed to give a month notice to his landlord. I agreed and received a $500 deposit to hold the apartment at the beginning March...

Deposit Refund [ 5 Answers ]

Landlords, How do you normally handle your deposit refund to tenant? Ask them to leave a forwarding address and mail it to them? If so, how long do you wait to mail it to them? Do you have a standard amount you usually deduct for cleaning of the apartment if they left it gross/ dirty? He left...

View more questions Search