Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    treetopyoung Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2008, 06:29 PM
    Garnish someone's wages in another state
    I recently won a settlement in a small claims case, but he lives in another state in the west coast. I went out there to sue him and we settled out of court and now he has missed the first payment. I need to know what to do next. I am supposen to garnish his wages or assests from what I have been told, so how do I go about doing this? Please let me know. Thanks Trianne
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2008, 06:34 PM

If you settled out of court, was there a judgment placed against him?

If there is no judgment, there can be no garnishment.

If you did obtain the judgment, you will have to obtain the garnishment forms from the courthouse where the judgment has been recorded.

You will also have to have them served upon the employer and the debtor as well.
    treetopyoung Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2008, 04:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by progunr View Post
    If you settled out of court, was there a judgment placed against him?

If there is no judgment, there can be no garnishment.

If you did obtain the judgment, you will have to obtain the garnishment forms from the courthouse where the judgment has been recorded.

You will also have to have them served upon the employer and the debtor as well.
    Okay but what if I do not know his employer... I have his bank acct info..?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 10, 2008, 07:12 AM

If you have his bank account info, you go back to the court and ask them to issue a writ of attachment on the account. You then serve the writ on the bank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I garnish someone's wages? [ 5 Answers ]

I won a judgement from an individual (whom won't pay). How do I start the process of garnishing his wages?

Can I garnish someone's IRS refund? [ 1 Answers ]

Recently I was awarded a small claims judgment in Oklahoma. The individual will never pay. I know that individual receives a large IRS refund every year. Can I garnish or put a lien on that refund for the amount of the Judgement? If so, how and what forms would I use? I have tried contacting...

Who can garnish your wages? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband had a credit card that he got behind on when he was furloughed from his job for almost 2 yrs. With interest and late fees, it got to 15,000.00. The credit company was going to to settle for around 3000.00 because my husband had been a customer (credit cardholder) for many years but it...

How to Garnish wages state to state [ 1 Answers ]

I won a judgement against a person who lives in another state. How do you garnish wages if you live in Virginia and the other person lives in Maine.

Find someone's past years wages [ 4 Answers ]

Is there anyway for someone to find out someone else's past years wages?

View more questions Search