Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    terierni Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2008, 06:01 PM
    Heat pump heat strip replacement
    We have a Heil heat pump package system in N. FL. Last winter it developed a condition called 'dirty sock' syndrome. We had a professional clean the unit and coat the coil with a white teflon-type paint made for this condition. The remainder of the year the unit did not smell and all summer it was fine with AC. But, as soon as we turned on heat this year, the sock smell was back...BUT, not all the time. It occurs only when the system goes into defrost mode and uses the heat strips.

My question is can the heat strips alone be replaced? Possibly they are old and new strips would stop the stick!

Thanks!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 9, 2008, 06:58 PM
    Replacing the heat strips will probably not make a difference since they run at a high temperature and nothing to create odors will be left after they have run for a few minutes. It would burn off.

Dirty sock syndrome can cause quite a stink in the home. I suggest that the duct and the coil in the unit is checked for debris/mold etc again. Also have whoever does the work use a good commercial HVAC cleaning agent and clean all areas at least two times to be sure to get it all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selecting Replacement Heat Pump/AC [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in process of selecting a replacement Heat Pump/AC for my 35 year old home. 2400 sq ft. one level. Panhandle of Florida. Current unit was a Lennox, installed approximately 20 years ago and now the compressor is making some strange noises but still cooling OK. I'm looking at possibly having...

A/c(heat pump)smells after thermastat replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a rheem heat pump and recently changed the old thermastat to a honeywell 7400 programmable... everything seems to work fine, but since the change I have noticed a distint smell (sulphur/ozone?) anyone have any suggestions? Wondering if I may have a wire incorrectly installed?

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Why does my air handeling coil freeze up when the heat pump is in heat mode? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a TRANE XL 1200 heat pump. When in the heat mode the air handeling coil freezes up, enough to block the air flow. I can turn the heat pump off and leave the air handeling unit air circulating fan on and get the ice melted. After 30 minutes or so I can turn the heat pump back to the on...

Trane Heat Pump tstat replacement with Honeywell prog - wiring question [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace my Trane Weathertron tstat with a Honeywell RTH7400 prog one. I have a Trane heat pump with aux heat. I've been poring over these thread piece-mealing some info the follow is the result. The old wiring scheme: X2 - black O - orange G - green Y - yellow T - tan/brown R -...

View more questions Search