Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Meriden Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2008, 08:48 PM
    Circuit breakers that trip
    I recently purchased an indoor smokeless grill and am wondering if it is tripping my breaker. I thought when a breaker tripped, it went off only part way; not all the way off. I believe you have to turn a tripped breaker all the way off and then back on to get it to work again, which is why I am confused about this situation. Actually, I have had more than one breaker shut off. There is more to this story but if someone could tell me if I am on the right path, I would appreciate it.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2008, 09:32 PM

Usually true. You can generally push it toward ON and it will spring back a little. To reset, you must go to OFF then back to ON.

There are some breakers that are designed to trip completely to the OFF position although I think this is generally not true for panelboards. It's plausible that a violent overload will cause a full trip. There is the possibility of a bad breaker. One sign is if it is warmer than other breakers.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 8, 2008, 09:54 PM
    FPE, C-H series and others typically just go to OFF, not the middle position that is more common.

What is the "more" part of the story?
    Ferghus Posts: 97, Reputation: -4

Nov 8, 2008, 10:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Meriden View Post
    I recently purchased an indoor smokeless grill and am wondering if it is tripping my breaker. I thought when a breaker tripped, it went off only part way; not all the way off. I believe you have to turn a tripped breaker all the way off and then back on to get it to work again, which is why I am confused about this situation. Actually, I have had more than one breaker shut off. There is more to this story but if someone could tell me if I am on the right path, I would appreciate it.
    Depends on the type of breaker. My building uses several power panels with several types of breakers... Homeline, GE, CuttlerHammer. Some trip part way, others all the way off when they trip, which happens from time to time. The more some breakers trip, the more worn they become and eventually need to be replaced. You should call an electrican, but if determined to fix it yourself, the easiest thing to do is determine which outlets are controlled by that circuit, and then see what stuff is plugged into that circuit usually... and how many amps those devices draw. Keep in mind that some units draw more amperage when they kick in, then the amperage drops while the unit is running.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2008, 11:04 PM

Meriden - I do believe that ( Ferghus gave the best advise, You should follow his advise. Now to get my 2 cents worth in :: The smoke less grill you have got takes a lot of amps to use and if there ios very much on the same circuit ,it is going to trip the breaker several times durning the time you are using it .; I would bet that there are severl things on the same circuit ,probably some are being used at the same time; I seen where a person had one and was in his kitchen using it and it even set the wires inside the wall on fire no joke :: If you are going to use it in the kitchen then get a electrician to run you a 30 amp circuit just for the grill and be safe ;; have a good day and GOD BLESS ::F.B.E.

Nov 9, 2008, 07:02 AM
    Two comments.

First off, a breaker tripping does NOT wear it out. Agreed, if a breaker trips due to a short circuit all the time it will shorten it's service life, but occasional tripping does not hurt a breaker.

Second, Eagles advice on having a 30A circuit run is not sound advice. You CANNOT have standard 15 or 20 amp receptacles on a 30A circuit.
    The best thing to do would be to have a dedicated 20A circuit run just for this appliance.

Again, what is the "more" part of the story?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2008, 07:08 AM
    The label on the panel cover or door usually explains how this particular manufacturer circuit breaker trips, and how to reset it.

I can't wait to hear the rest of the story. I bet this is a doozy.

Nov 9, 2008, 07:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post

:D :p

Nov 9, 2008, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    The label on the panel cover or door usually explains how this particular manufacturer circuit breaker trips, and how to reset it.

LOL... to everyone who wants to know the rest of the story; as I said before, I have had more than one breaker shut off. This is the second time for this particular breaker. The guy upstairs is a jerk and I have had the propane let out of my tank and my gas cap on my car opened, which scared me enough to buy a locking gas cap. I want to be sure it is the grill causing the problem [even though others have been turned off] before I say something. I will return the unit if everyone thinks it is causing the problem as I do not want a fire. Thanks for the help!

Nov 9, 2008, 02:13 PM
    "Guy upstairs"?? Is this an apartment?
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2008, 07:38 PM

Stanfortyman - QUOTE-- I did not say anything about 15or20 amp. Recepticals on the circuit, I SAID HAVE A ELICTRICIAN TO RUN A 30 AMP CIRCUIT JUST FOR THE GRILL!
    I think that you miss understood <SORRY IF YOU DID .:: F.B.E.

Nov 9, 2008, 08:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    "Guy upstairs"??? Is this an apartment?
    Yes; it is actually a double [I live in the lower flat]. Without going into great detail, he is the boyfriend of the landlord's niece and gives new meaning to abusive. We had a run-in one day over his big mouth at one o'clock in the morning and ever since then breakers are being shut off, propane let out of my gas grill, etc. Which is why I posted to this site. Obviously, I am a woman and know nothing about breakers and it is difficult to go to the landlord because of the relationship. I am just trying to understand if this electric grill I bought could be the problem. I have been told that when breakers trip, they need to be turned completely off and then turned back to the on position. Mine are always completely off, which leads me to believe they are having "help" gettting there. So gentlemen, can anyone give me a lesson on breakers and if they just trip part way or all the way in the off position.
    Ferghus Posts: 97, Reputation: -4

Nov 9, 2008, 11:21 PM
    Yes; it is actually a double [I live in the lower flat]. Without going into great detail, he is the boyfriend of the landlord's niece and gives new meaning to abusive. We had a run-in one day over his big mouth at one o'clock in the morning and ever since then breakers are being shut off, propane let out of my gas grill, etc. Which is why I posted to this site. Obviously, I am a woman and know nothing about breakers and it is difficult to go to the landlord because of the relationship. I am just trying to understand if this electric grill I bought could be the problem. I have been told that when breakers trip, they need to be turned completely off and then turned back to the on position. Mine are always completely off, which leads me to believe they are having "help" gettting there. So gentlemen, can anyone give me a lesson on breakers and if they just trip part way or all the way in the off position.
    Ah... so THAT's the problem. Do you have access to the breaker panel? Because the only surefire way to see if it's the grills fault, is to be sure the breaker is reset... then turn on your grill and see if the breaker trips.

Nov 10, 2008, 05:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Blue Eagle View Post
    Stanfortyman - QUOTE-- I did not say anything about 15or20 amp. recepticals on the circuit, I SAID HAVE A ELICTRICIAN TO RUN A 30 AMP CIRCUIT JUST FOR THE GRILL!!
    I think that you miss understood <SORRY IF YOU DID .:: F.B.E.
    FBE, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you did not even have to say anything about 15 or 20A. Just saying to run a 30A circuit was wrong in itself, which is why I posted.

Obviously this thing plugs into a "standard" 15 or 20 amp receptacle, so no matter what, a 30A circuit for it would be illegal/non-compliant.

Nov 10, 2008, 05:05 AM
    So gentlemen, can anyone give me a lesson on breakers and if they just trip part way or all the way in the off position.
    Can you tell us what it says on the panel?
    What brand and series is it?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 10, 2008, 07:10 AM

Because you are in an apartment, electrical work must be done by a licensed electrician, supplied by the landlord.

Since you are clearly inferring that the problem is the loudmouth flicking the breaker off from time to time may I suggest that you lean on the landlord by attacking his revenue stream. Tell him you need an electrician to examine your breaker panel. You are concerned for your safety because the way the breakers are tripping point to a possible problem with a loose neutral connection. This is a definite fire hazard and you would be well within your rights to call for a fire inspector or City Electrical Inspector if he does not have the panel examined and inspected.

If he tells you no, you can then call your city or county electrical inspectors and ask them to intervene.

Either way, the landlord gets the bill. And I'm sure that if it costs the landlord money, the landlord will stop the behavior.

By the way, is your electrical panel in a public place where anyone can have access to it or is it inside of your apartment where only you or the landlord have access to the panel?

Good luck, by regardless of the reason for the problem, it must be fixed by the landlord and it must be done by a qualified licensed electrician.
    mr500 Posts: 181, Reputation: 8

Nov 10, 2008, 09:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    because you are in an apartment, electrical work must be done by a licensed electrician, supplied by the landlord.

Since you are clearly inferring that the problem is the loudmouth flicking the breaker off from time to time may i suggest that you lean on the landlord by attacking his revenue stream. Tell him you need an electrician to examine your breaker panel. You are concerned for your safety because the way the breakers are tripping point to a possible problem with a loose neutral connection. This is a definite fire hazard and you would be well within your rights to call for a fire inspector or city electrical inspector if he does not have the panel examined and inspected.

If he tells you no, you can then call your city or county electrical inspectors and ask them to intervene.

Either way, the landlord gets the bill. And i'm sure that if it costs the landlord money, the landlord will stop the behavior.

By the way, is your electrical panel in a public place where anyone can have access to it or is it inside of your apartment where only you or the landlord have access to the panel?

Good luck, by regardless of the reason for the problem, it must be fixed by the landlord and it must be done by a qualified licensed electrician.

Huh ?

Nov 10, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Because you are in an apartment, electrical work must be done by a licensed electrician, supplied by the landlord.

Since you are clearly inferring that the problem is the loudmouth flicking the breaker off from time to time may I suggest that you lean on the landlord by attacking his revenue stream. Tell him you need an electrician to examine your breaker panel. You are concerned for your safety because the way the breakers are tripping point to a possible problem with a loose neutral connection. This is a definite fire hazard and you would be well within your rights to call for a fire inspector or City Electrical Inspector if he does not have the panel examined and inspected.

Either way, the landlord gets the bill. And I'm sure that if it costs the landlord money, the landlord will stop the behavior.

Thank you for this information. The landlord does all his own electrical work and I doubt he is a licensed electrician. I had some "shared metering" going on and he was required to correct that. Unfortunately, the electric company (National Grid) does not mandate a licensed electrican do the work. And yes, the electrical panel is in the basement which he has access to. I plan on using the grill this evening in a different outlet (not on that particular breaker) to see what happens. If it trips that breaker, I will know it is the unit and will return it before I have a fire. I do appreciate everyone's imput to my problem. And for the record, I am getting the h#ll out of this apartment in the spring!
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 10, 2008, 08:21 PM

The electric company does not have a say over the landlord. The NEC specifies identifies the need for a licensed electrician. Just like the NEC states that the meters cannot be shared, nor can common property fixtures (hallway lights, signs) be run off a tenant's meter. They have to be on an independent meter

Your landlord is allowed to make repairs, but I believe he has to be a resident. I do not have any of my books with me but if I get home tomorrow evening, I'll look up the information.

Nov 10, 2008, 09:28 PM
    The electric company does not have a say over the landlord. The NEC specifies identifies the need for a licensed electrician. Just like the NEC states that the meters cannot be shared, nor can common property fixtures (hallway lights, signs) be run off of a tenant's meter. They have to be on an independent meter

Your landlord is allowed to make repairs, but I believe he has to be a resident. I do not have any of my books with me but if I get home tomorrow evening, I'll look up the information.
    I don't know what NEC stands for but the landlord lives two doors down. All the common areas were on my electric; he got rid of the lights in the basement except over the washers/dryers and coming down the stairs; got rid of the back yard light; and put the porch light on the upstairs electric line (his niece and her boyfriend live up there). I have my washer/dryer light and front hall light on my electric... he said if he had to incur any expenses, my rent would go up. I still believe the boyfriend is turning off my breakers as just this weekend I had another one off. Landlord was here this evening checking the lines (and amps?? ) and found nothing wrong but says he does not want to jump to conclusions this guy is doing it. There are only a few of us with keys to this place, and if we are not doing it and the landlord is not doing it, it does not leave anyone else but him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuit Breaker didn't Trip [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 1 year old home. The bathroom outlet is a GFCI outlet on a circuit protected by a 15 amp ARC FAULT BREAKER. Today my wife plugged her hair blowdryer and the base of the cord lit up like an arc welder. This lasted for 5-8 seconds before the cord completely melted and the fireworks...

Circuit breakers [ 6 Answers ]

If I have a main disconnect at the pole what kind of breaker box should I put in my quanset To replace the old fuse box,a main lug or main breaker. This is also part my shop. Thanks for any answers, can omeone please help??

Circuit breakers [ 16 Answers ]

I purchased and ready to install a new diahwasher. The instructions call for a 15 amp circuit breaker. The current breaker is a 10 amp breaker solely for the dishwasher. Can I use the 10 amp or should I change the breaker to 15 amp? How difficult would it be to change?

Circuit breaker failed to trip [ 2 Answers ]

I made a big error today on wiring a new circuit. I pulled 2 cables (for 2 circuits) back to the consumer panel and then connected the wrong cable. The cable that I connected was stripped at the other end but not yet connected to anything. When I went to inspect it, I tugged on it and there was one...

Circuit breakers [ 2 Answers ]

It seems so far that our kitchen is wired all on the same circuit. When we use the oven and microwave or the microwave and the toaster oven which is on the other side of the room the breaker trips. That breaker is currently 15amps. Would it be all right to change that breaker to a 25 or 30 amp for...

View more questions Search