Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2008, 08:15 PM
    What must one DO to be ready for the return?
    Sunday's Gospel Lesson...
    Matthew 25: 1. `Then the kingdom of Heaven will be like this: Ten wedding attendants took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom.
    2. Five of them were foolish and five were sensible:
    3. the foolish ones, though they took their lamps, took no oil with them,
    4. whereas the sensible ones took flasks of oil as well as their lamps.
    5. The bridegroom was late, and they all grew drowsy and fell asleep.
    6. But at midnight there was a cry, `Look! The bridegroom! Go out and meet him.'
    7. Then all those wedding attendants woke up and trimmed their lamps,
    8. and the foolish ones said to the sensible ones, `Give us some of your oil: our lamps are going out.'
    9. But they replied, `There may not be enough for us and for you; you had better go to those who sell it and buy some for yourselves.'
    10. They had gone off to buy it when the bridegroom arrived. Those who were ready went in with him to the wedding hall and the door was closed.
    11. The other attendants arrived later. `Lord, Lord,' they said, `open the door for us.'
    12. But he replied, `In truth I tell you, I do not know you.'
    13. So stay awake, because you do not know either the day or the hour.
    :D:D:
    Faith in the bridegroom and his return brought the attendants to the wedding but they were not ready.
    :eek:They had not properly prepared to enter the feast.:eek:
    This parable is full of symbols.
    What symbol is having got enough of the lamp oil of something one must do to be prepared to you?
    :)Peace and kindness,:)
    Fred (arcura)
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2008, 12:17 AM

I see the lamp oil as a symbol of being filled with the word or the Holy Spirit. It is the only thing that fuels the light. Some are filled with the "oil" and some are not. In the end times, when Jesus comes unexpectly, many will be without.
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2008, 05:31 AM

The oil lamp of old time has a flax within made of cotton that when trimmed it's light shined brighter. The smoking flax was carefully trim to cut the black harden remains off. In the awareness to this I find further understanding in scripture that speaks of the lamp as salvation, with direction in our path. The oil is the anointed One that gave us fuel. And the light is the shine of glory in God and His Will. Moses face shined of God glory spoken of in ( II Corinthians 3 ) God promise to trim the smoking flax gently ( Isaiah 42:3 ) We are told throughout scripture to believe in Christ, and walk with Him. Christ did the will of His Father and all was in His Glory.

Matthew 25:7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.

Isaiah 64:1 For Zion's sake will I not hold my peace, and for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest, until the righteousness thereof go forth as brightness, and the salvation thereof as a lamp that burneth.

2 Sam 22:28 For thou art my lamp, O LORD: and the LORD will lighten my darkness.

Psalms 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

First John 1:17 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2008, 04:09 PM
    Thanks for your posts but...
    The question is...
    What symbol is having got enough of the lamp oil of something one must do to be prepared to you?
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2008, 01:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    Thanks for your posts but.....
    The question is...
    Scripture tells us the foolish were told to go buy their own oil... so they should go buy into what brings light to the lamp.

"Faith in CHRIST"

What is Christ worth to us? The woman that anointed His head with alabaster ointment felt Chrsit was worth far more to us then most come to believe. What she did was to be spoken of as a memorial of her. Why? because we should also find Christ worth more then any amount of money or treasure. Put all our faith in Christ forever and ever!

Mark 14:3 And being in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster box of ointment of spikenard very precious; and she brake the box, and poured [it] on his head.

Mark 14:8 She hath done what she could: she is come aforehand to anoint my body to the burying.

Mark 14:9 Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached throughout the whole world, [this] also that she hath done shall be spoken of for a memorial of her.
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Nov 10, 2008, 07:50 AM

I don't think it's all that hard, but I also realize that I could be overly simple-minded.

I think it's understanding and accepting the fact that I could never, ever do enough, be enough, say enough, give enough to be worthy before God or have any chance of getting into Heaven.

The only hope I have in this world is Jesus Christ, and accepting what he did for me over 2,000 years ago as still being valid and binding. He is the only hope I have, and I've pinned everything I have and everything I am to him in that hope.

DK
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2008, 05:35 PM

It is not sufficient to have a lamp, a vessel, in order to have "light". The vessel must be filled with oil which is ignited in order to give off light. :)

So, if a lamp is a man, the oil is the "spiritual wisdom" which enables the man to send light out into the world.

The term empty vessel, now empty suit is popular, is a common one today referring to men of no merit, no ethics or morality, no integrity, no nothing.

So, not enough oil, not sending off spiritual light. Christ doesn't know you.
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2008, 07:23 PM
    What must one DO as Jesus asked or commands addition to having faith?
    That's the point of the question.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2008, 08:08 PM

Faith
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2008, 08:41 PM
    What must one DO as Jesus asked or commands in ADDITION to having faith?
    Liber a Nos A Mallo
    (Deliver us from evil)
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    clhend Posts: 44, Reputation: 9

Nov 11, 2008, 12:51 PM
    If one takes the Lord's other mentions of end time events, there are a couple of practical answers to your question. While one spiritualize all one wants about the oil of the spirit (how do you go out a "buy" more Holy Spirit?)

Let's look at these verses where Jesus is talking about the end times:

Mat 24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
    If we are to endure, and yet told there will be famine and we won't be able to buy or sell without taking the Mark of the Beast, then possibly we are to take some steps to ensure that we are prepared to "endure" until the end.

Mat 24:37 But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
    Mat 24:38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark,
    Mat 24:39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

It's interesting that Jesus mentions Noah here, because Noah was warned of judgment and "prepared to the saving of his house". Also, the ones who "knew not until the flood came and took THEM away" were the same ones who "eating and drinking" and carrying on as usual. Noah was not taken by surprise. He knew judgment was coming, prepared, warned his neighbors, then was obedient to get into the place of protection that God has instructed him to build. It was at that point that judgment fell on the wicked who had not prepared either physically or spiritually.

Mat 24:44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

Be ready. I find it interesting that the government has a website called ready.gov where they encourage people to be prepared for the next disaster.

Mat 24:45 Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?

Part of the servant's duties is to provide meat for the rest of the servants

Many prophetic scriptures have more than one meaning. There is often a near fulfillment and a far or end times fulfillment. There is often a spiritual interpretation and a practical interpretation. Neither interpretation is wrong, however since we live in a practical world, it would behoove Believers to be Noahs and Josephs and prepare for what's coming.

JMHO
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2008, 08:59 PM
    clhend
    Very good.
    But. It does not answer the question about what you should do.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    clhend Posts: 44, Reputation: 9

Nov 12, 2008, 05:27 AM
    There are two areas of being ready: spiritual and physical.

The spiritual is to make sure that you get the Word inside you. The you know how to operate in the Authority of the Name of Jesus. That you know that the Blood of Jesus and His Name will send legions of demons running. Know how to don and move while wearing the whole Armor of the Spirit. Memorize Psalms 91, that is the most prophetic Word of Promise for endtime saints.

The practical physical preps involve more than having a couple extra cans of tuna and a couple of gallons of water stuck back in some dusty closet. If you or anyone wants to know how to prepare, step-by-step, send an email to survivalhomestead(at)hughes.net and put "preplist" in the subject line. You'll be sent a 40-page guide of purchasing lists, storage guidelines, emergency supplies, barter goods, non-hybrid seeds, etc.

If this response doesn't answer your question, then please be more clear exactly what you are wanting to know.
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Nov 13, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sndbay View Post
    The oil lamp of old time has a flax within made of cotton that when trimmed it's light shined brighter. The smoking flax was carefully trim to cut the black harden remains off. In the awareness to this I find further understanding in scripture that speaks of the lamp as salvation, with direction in our path. The oil is the anointed One that gave us fuel. And the light is the shine of glory in God and His Will. Moses face shined of God glory spoken of in ( II Corinthians 3 ) God promise to trim the smoking flax gently ( Isaiah 42:3 ) We are told throughout scripture to believe in Christ, and walk with Him. Christ did the will of His Father and all was in His Glory...
    I think this is the answer you're looking for. Added with this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux View Post
    It is not sufficient to have a lamp, a vessel, in order to have "light". The vessel must be filled with oil which is ignited in order to give off light...
    as they were saying, that the oil is a symbol of the holy spirit, that same spirit, if present, purifies us, and burns away the sin within us, so that we shine outwardly with this light of god:

Luk 11:33 No man, when he hath lighted a candle, putteth [it] in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light.

the reason the others were not able to shine, is that they didn't have the inner part (oil or holy spirit) to begin purification. Of course going off during judgement, trying to buy time to get purified, was too late.
    it was jesus they needed, and just didn't have, therefore he didn't know them then.
    they really should have just told the giver of the feast, 'look, I don't have any way to get the oil these have, and I want to say I came unprepared and can only ask you for your mercy. You can have my lamp, and I'll wait on the guests as a servant, only be gracious and help me.'

then the feast giver would have said, 'look, you were mistaken... there's a little oil in your lamp after all'. This would have been because the purification of her heart had begun already.
    so to do something, would be to be obedient to the holy spirit, which is death to self. Reading romans chs 6-8 will help understanding better.
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2008, 08:23 PM
    cogs
    Very Good.
    Thanks.
    Although I think the lamp oil could be a symbol for something each person must do or obtain to be READY to go into the ceremony.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Nov 14, 2008, 07:46 AM

yes, that is the purification. It's a process that takes time, and begins to prune us until we produce good fruit. I guess you could say the fruit is the oil, because it's something that has value and usefulness in the kingdom of heaven. The oil does have a purpose; I think that's what you're getting at, because why was it so important they have it for a feast. The only value we could have to god is fruit that he produces through us.
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2008, 04:59 PM
    Cogs,
    Very good.
    Also, without the lamp oil there could be no light from the lamps.
    Fred
    saintjoan Posts: 36, Reputation: 6

Nov 16, 2008, 10:24 PM

Acts 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved,
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2008, 11:04 PM
    saintjoan,
    True, but true believe mean to have faith and so what Jesus asks us to do.
    Some folks have done some of that but not all.
    So they need to do the rest.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you find return on assets and return on equity? [ 1 Answers ]

How do you find the return on assets and the return on equity given the following? Sales $27,000,000 Total assets 19,000,000 Total debt 6,400,000 Profit margin 8% Net income 2,160,000

Internal rate of return, net present value, return on invextment [ 1 Answers ]

what do we mean by internal rate of return, net present value and average annual return on investments? What do they imply? And, how are they computed?

Filing status different for Federal return and State return [ 1 Answers ]

Can I use a different filing status for Federal and State? I got married in October last year, but I and my wife were residing in separate states till early 2007. So, on Dec 31st we were married but did not stay together. For the state I guess we cannot file JOINT because of different states....

How I can fill tax return wihtout my wife ITIN # and show her at my tax return [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a h1 visa holder living New York and my wife joined with me she has h4 visa When I fill this year tax return I want to get benefit how I can get ITIN # for her Yes I know about W-7 form but it's very confision Give me some info please step by step Thanks

Return on Assets & Return on Equity [ 1 Answers ]

Question... Lily Cosmetics has annual sales of $500,000,000. They maintain a net after tax profit margin of 5% and they have a sales-to-assets ratio of 4. A) What is the Return on assets? B) If the debt/equity ratio is 0.5, what is the Return on Equity?

View more questions Search