Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    morgan4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2008, 04:11 PM
    Ph in my tap water is low for fishtank
    I was wondering if someone could help me with my goldfish tank. I have had a high ph for quite sometime. Discovered that I needed to take out the rocks cause they raise the ph. Well, now I tested my tap water and it says 7.6 when I first put the stuff in the api dropper and as you watch it, it gets lighter and lighter till the water is clear. Don't know what to do about using the tap water. I was using spring water before, but was told tap is better. Has anyone ever heard of this and what can I do. I don't want to kill my fish. It looks as if the tap water has no ph. Shouldn't the water in the dropper stay blue?

{Moved from Forum Help. Please pay attention to posting guidelines -<>}
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2008, 06:35 AM
    7.6 is a slightly alkaline Ph, which is perfect for your goldfish.
    Make sure to use a water conditioner to remove chlorine and/or chloramine
    From the tap water before adding it to the tank.
    As for the water test, chemical reactions take place inside the test tubes causing changes in
    Colors. The end color result is the color that you will want to compare to your water test charts.
    In addition, sometimes water pipes can affect the
    Ph of water giving false readings of the Ph when the test is done immediately after collecting the water.
    The only way to accurately read the Ph of your tap water is to fill a glass with cold tap water and leave it sitting for a few minutes before doing the test.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

High ammonia level in fishtank. [ 4 Answers ]

I've have a 55 gallon fishtank I got 3 weeks ago. We have been adding fish once a week. (I know now that was a big mistake) A few days ago, a couple of my fish got sick (loss of appetite, color loss, staying at the top of the tank, etc). One fish has died but 2 are still sick. After researching I...

Daylight basement water leak, cause by broken water pipe or saturated ground water? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6 units 3 stories with daylight basement apartment. Build in 1960. Just bought it few months ago. Last year the previous owner had a bad flood in the daylight basement after long period of rain. They cleaned out the area, remodel it. Good for few months, last couple of weeks rain long...

Very Troubled New Fishtank Owner! [ 2 Answers ]

I recently purchased a small 1.5 gallon aquarium set for my 6 yr old son along w/ 3 guppies. This is the first fishtank we've owned and I figured it would be a good start for my son to learn to take care of pets. The set included almost everything needed for startup such as the filter, gravel,...

Established fishtank cloudy out of the blue, why? [ 5 Answers ]

I asked this same question over in Oceanography but wasn't sure if I should be posting it here. Sorry about the crosspost, but I'm in an emergency situation with my fish... Yesterday I noticed my fishtank was just slightly cloudy. So I did a 25% water change. The water remained cloudy even...

View more questions Search