Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TLB Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2006, 06:44 AM
    Cancer of neck Stage 4
    Hi I'm new here , I'm crasping at straws at this stage of the game but thought what the heck.

I was diagnosed about 3 months ago and it has been a real roller coster ride. I'm not going into a lot of detail, just going to tell you what I'm taking as alternative.

MSM
    PAU d'ARCO TEA 4-5 CUPS A DAY
    1000 MG C
    BETA GLUCAN 500MG
    BLUE GREEN ALGEA

These are the ones I take mostly, I guess just want to know which ones are snake oil.

Ted
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 16, 2006, 08:31 AM
    We actually need you to go into detail for us to help you. But, as a cancer survivor myself, I would NEVER have used this unless prescribed by a doctor. Yes, it may help your body in certain areas, but I don't believe they are as effective as Chemotherapy (which I had 6 months of) or Radiation.

In my opinion they are snake oil. You would not happen to be getting these through Roex would you?

Jun 16, 2006, 09:26 AM
    It has been one thing then another , I had to get all my teeth pulled for radition and erbutux treatment, but my gums are slow to heal and I merely wanted to slow things down a bit. Also doctors won't talk about this alternative stuff at all. They just say "well it won't hurt you". Oh yeah I do know for a fact that vitamin C is not snake oil.
    Expert

Jun 16, 2006, 10:07 AM
    Okay, true what the docs say, it won't hurt you, and vitamin C is not snake oil, there are many people out there who get rich off making you believe that this is a cure, or will slow down the damaging effects of cancer, radiation or chemotherapy.

It will not hurt, but it is not considered an alternative to physician proven medications that you will get from your doc.

I heard all about shark cartilage and the like while going through my chemo, it does not work. So, my advice, and it is only that, if you want to take it, it will not harm you, but do not consider it an alternative.

Jun 16, 2006, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Okay, true what the docs say, it won't hurt you, and vitamin C is not snake oil, there are many people out there who get rich off of making you believe that this is a cure, or will slow down the damaging effects of cancer, radiation or chemotherapy.

It will not hurt, but it is not considered an alternative to physician proven medications that you will get from your doc.

I heard all about shark cartilage and the like while going through my chemo, it does not work. So, my advice, and it is only that, if you want to take it, it will not harm you, but do not consider it an alternative.
    So what you are saying is while I am waiting to heal and get conventional treatment I should do nothing, correct?
    Expert

Jun 16, 2006, 10:26 AM
    Not at all. What I am saying, and remember, I am a cancer survivor of 9 years, is that while the supplements you are asking about will not hurt you but please do not consider them a cure or an alternative to tried and true professional medicine. They may assist in boosting energy, or immune systems, but if they were a cure, they would be prescribed by docotrs.

Jun 16, 2006, 10:30 AM
    The erbitux sounds VERY promising to my DR and all the reading I have been doing it sounds very good to me too.
    Expert

Jun 16, 2006, 10:43 AM
    Then try it. As I said, it can't hurt.

However, if it is Roex, I would be cautious.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 16, 2006, 11:40 AM
    With regards to Vit C, Linus Pauling did some research in to in cureative properties and found that in some cancer cases it can limit, and sometimes halt the spread, BUT it isn't a cure!
    What he also found is for Vit C to have a beneficial effect the dosage has to be quite high.
    I take around 3000 mg (3 grams) a day and it helps me to avoid colds and other similar common conditions.
    As Vit C is water soluble it isn't possible to overdose on it. Basically any that your body doesn't need is excreted normally by causing loose stools.
    My advice in this respect is to increase your dosage at least FIVE fold or until you experience loose stools, and then go back 1 gram.

Hopefully this will be of some benefit.

Jun 16, 2006, 12:22 PM
    Amazing, that's the same site I got all my info from and the same thing I do on dosage.
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Jun 16, 2006, 07:01 PM
    What caused your cancer

Jun 17, 2006, 04:14 AM
    The DR thinks it was probably drinking and smoking, but I have not drank any alcohol in 20 years and quit smoking the beginning of march this year. The one thing that I have been most interested in is the beta glucan, was hoping to find someone that has had some experience with it.

Jun 21, 2006, 05:58 AM
    Going back to the DR today to see if my gums are healed well enough to begin treatment.
    jamesroger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2007, 11:40 AM
    I'm not sure what J-9 has against Roex {maybe he is an ex-employee who got fired :) } but I have had great success with all of their products that I have used. I've never used them to cure any diseases or anything like that, but for overall health, I have seen some great results over the past few years.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Oct 24, 2007, 11:54 AM
    I'm not sure what J-9 has against Roex {maybe he is an ex-employee who got fired } but I have had great success with all of their products that I have used. I've never used them to cure any diseases or anything like that, but for overall health, I have seen some great results over the past few years.
    James, I won't speak for J-9 but so you know, she's a nursing student and cancer survivor. FYI

Hi Ted
    I can understand wanting to do anything to win your fight... I wish you the best. I work in a cancer clinic and I'm a 9-year survivor of cancer. I can tell you through experience that those things may not help... but they can't really hurt either. So, why not? Even if it gives you peace of mind~ its worthwhile, right?
    I would just suggest giving your doctors a list of everything you're using so they have all the information in front of them.

About Erbitux, it is very promising and I've seen many patients here benefit from it. Like any chemo agent, it can be rough on some people (side effects) so ask questions and treat your body well to help the drug work for you.
    I hope your gums heal well enough for the treatment to begin soon. Good luck. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

End stage renal failure [ 8 Answers ]

My mother has been sent home to die with end stage renal failure and cerebral atrophy. She has been on dialysis for 15 months and doctors tell us let her die in peace. I am having a hard time with this. Is there anything we can try before she leaves us. I can't face the alternative of her dying...

Honeywell thermostat heat/cool in Rheem 2 stage furnace? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Honeywell 1 Heat/1Cool thermostat (TH6110D1013) that I would like to use with a Rheem 2 stage gas heat furnace. I think it is possible but would I get the same benefits as having a thermostat with 2 heat/1 cool? Would I just connect the W terminal on the Thermostat to the W2 on the...

Neck rash [ 8 Answers ]

A few years ago I began to notice a rash on one side of my neck. Today it has progressed to both sides of my lower face and down both sides of my neck. It is dark and splotchy. Any idea what might be causing this discoloration?

2 wire Single Stage Thermostat Issue [ 1 Answers ]

Thought this would be easy, Here is the problem, the furnace stays on all the time even thought the programmable themostat is set at a lower temperature than the room. The wiring must not be correct but there are only 2 wires. One for the transformer and one for the heat control. Please...

Up To Neck In... it! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi & Thanks in advance for any assistance... I recently bought my 2 story on concrete foundation (no basement or crawlspace) home and all was well for 1st couple of months. Home is 6 yrs old and previous owner acted as the sub when house was built and claimed he kept no blueprints. (our...

View more questions Search