Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    islander Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2006, 05:20 AM
    Mtd lawn tractor
    I recently bought a used mtd lawn tractor, 38" deck, 7 speed manual ,12 hp I/c briggs engine. The tractor needs a new transmission belt. Because I don't have an owners manual or parts list, I don't know which belt to order. Does anyone know what belt I need?
    dcx Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jun 16, 2006, 06:10 PM
    There should be a model # somewhere on the machine and there might be more than 1 tag so keep looking even after finding one.. copy all the codes you find and bring it to a dealer or repair shop... that`s how I got parts for my MTD... hope this helps.. :)
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2006, 09:57 PM
    Btw, you can get the owners manual off the mtd website... www.mtdproducts.com
    12hp I/C engine... GREAT ENGINE!
    rhvacman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2006, 07:05 PM
    9540280a engine to pulley
    9540281 pulley to trans
    hollidml Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2008, 04:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by islander
    I recently bought a used mtd lawn tractor, 38" deck, 7 speed manual ,12 hp i/c briggs engine. The tractor needs a new transmission belt. Because I don't have an owners manual or parts list, I don't know which belt to order. Does anyone know what belt I need?
    I think that I have the same model. I got it a couple of weeks ago and it would just stop moving then start back again once the bad part finally cooled off. I disassembled the drive assembly and found that the varible speed pulley (in the middle between two belts) was seizing. I ordered the pulley ($108) and the two belts that drive the tractor. The numbers had changed from the original MTD 754-280A and MTD 754-370 to 954-280A and 954-370 respectively. Check your varible speed pulley and make sure that it is not bad like mine. It only acted up when it got hot. So far this "free" tractor has cost me about $200.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2008, 04:43 PM
    Some shops will be able to give the correct belt by the info you can supply them. Go to a mtd dealer if one is near by you.
    bbargamian Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 10:02 AM

Your lawn tractor sounds like the same one I own. The transmission belt should be part number 754-0370 the drive belt part number is 754-0280 now can anyone tell me what is going on with my MTD when you put it in the forward position and take your foot off the clutch it jumps out of gear but when you put it in reverse it stays in gear. I changed the transmission belt thinking that could be the problem but it still does the same thing anyone have any ideas what it could be.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I troubleshooting my MTD lawn tractor? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi There, I have one MTD lawn tractor for many years. It is a MTD 14.5/42” 7 speed model. It stopped working during cutting the grass recently, and then I could not start this tractor any more. After then, I had replaced the new battery, new air filter, and the new spark plug. I had changed...

No start ayp lawn tractor [ 3 Answers ]

OK I have a AYP 22hp kohler with a electric pto clutch. The engine won't turn over with the key switch . I can jump the key switch and it will run. It will stay running as long as I leave the clutch/brake pedal engaged. If I release the clutch or try to engage the blades it will die . At first I...

Troybuilt Lawn Tractor [ 6 Answers ]

Mower Runs Fine, Just When I Engage Blades, Will Run For A Min And Then It Will Disengage Blades, What Is The Problem

Weedeater lawn tractor [ 7 Answers ]

I have a weedeater lawn tractor age unknown but 5-8 years guessing with a 12.5 briggs engine, went to start it last week and clicking was all I got so tried to manually turn crankshaft and it was froze, this week I got to tinkering with it and was able to turn shaft and it fired up like always,...

MTD lawn tractor won't stop [ 2 Answers ]

Replaced all belts but tractor is still taking off when changing gears instead of sitting still until gears change

View more questions Search