Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shashgo Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2008, 09:37 AM
    How do I connect computers wirelessly
    I just bought three dell desktops, with built in wireless cards. If I connect one of them (computer A) to my modem to get internet, how do I wirelessly connect the other two computers so that they can access the internet through computer A?

I don't have a wireless router yet, so I can't run all three computers from a wireless router, and that's why I want to do it the other way. Once I get a wireless router, maybe Ill try to connect them to the wireless router, but for now how do I connect them wirelessly through computer A so that they can access the internet?
    The Rev Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2008, 08:11 PM

This is a lot easie said than done, and a router will be a LOT easier way to do this.

That being said, it IS possible to do what you want, though not recommended.

If you truly want to do this, you will need to set up file sharing between the computers and Computer A, with the internet connection, will need to act as a Gateway for the other two systems. You will need to get the IP address from Computer A, then set that as the Default Gateway for Computers B and C in their wireless network connections which you will need to create.

You will also need to run some third-party software on computer A to have that system act as a DHCP server, meaning that it will then "hand out" IP addresses on the internal network to Computers B and C, essentially making computer A the router and firewall.

Incidentally, if you watch the ads for Best Buy, Ciurcuit City and Staples for a week or two, one of the three is going to have an advertised wireless router for very little money, usually after a rebate. I highly recommend waiting and doing this. Setting them up over a wireless router= 20 minutes. Setting them up to run through another computer= several hours, possibly days, to get it right.

Nov 8, 2008, 08:37 PM
    That's true I totally agree, going the router route is a lot easier, but the only thing is right now I don't have a router. Also I realkized one of the pcs is running win vista not xp, while the other two are xp.

Is it possible to connect 2 win xp computers and a vista computer with a router

Nov 8, 2008, 08:50 PM

Yes, of course. Actually, the Vista compuetr is a little bit easier to set up, even. The walktrhrough in Windows for the Wireless configuration wizard is pretty easy, and we are always here to help if need be. The router is essentially allowing each computer to see the internet while being protected behind the router from outside breaches.

I am a firm believer in shopping for the best price, and with routers, you can find them relatively inexpensively if you watch the ads, or even Craigslist online locally.

Nov 9, 2008, 06:57 AM
    Oh okay, so then I run the router setup on each computer, correct? But how does each computer get the IP address of the router? Anyway, once that is done, do I run the network setup wizard on each computer also?

Nov 9, 2008, 02:59 PM

Yes, if you run the router setup on each system, then it will configure the system to connect to the router for you.

Nov 9, 2008, 09:07 PM
    Thanks I got it running. But I have a question. Every so often I find that the wireless connection on one of the computers is dropped, while the other two are still connected. The one that has the dropped connection (Ill call this computer 1) has a linksys wireless card while the other two have dlink.

My router is a belkin.

The surprising thing is that my wireless still shows connected on computer 1, even though I can no longer access the internet. And when I go to show all wireless connections, I see only a neighbours wireless and not mine. It is only when I go and physically unplug the modem and router and replug them after about 10secs that the wireless connects again automatically to computer 1. Why does this happen, and it happens at least once 2-3 weeks

Nov 12, 2008, 01:56 AM
    The most obvious thing that I can think of are:

1. the wireless router's settings are allowing only certain numbers of IP addresses on the network, and it isn't enough for all 3 at one time (should NOT be the case unless you changed default settings other than to add encryption).

2. Norton Antivirus... it is notorious for blocking connections to the internet, but says you are connected to the network. Try disabling it for 15 minutes. Or so, and see if that corrects the issue. If so, I would actually recommend using different software (Spybot Search and Destroy and AVG Free are what I use personally, and they are free online). Many virsues also circumvent Norton as it is one of the most popular programs, so people write viruses tog et around it.

Nov 12, 2008, 05:16 AM
    Rev:

I use AVG so I doubt it's the antivirus. Thing is my two computers that are closest to the router don't lose their connection whereas this one does, and the configuration on one of them and this one is the same, both run winXP, both have AVG and both have the same programs.

I think it may be regarding the IP addresses like you said, but then how come those two computers never disconnect whereas this one does every so often? Would it make a difference if I used DHCP addressing on the computers as opposed to static IPs?
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Nov 12, 2008, 06:29 AM

Wireless Ad Hoc networks are unstable. Their preferred form of name resolution is with NetBIOS which is not routable. You will have nothing but troubles trying to use this for Internet access.

To further beat this dead horse, using a router is the best way to go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I connect two computers through LAN? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know complete process for connecting 2 computers through LAN

Trying to install linksys notebook adapter and connect wirelessly [ 1 Answers ]

Hello- I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop on which I recently downloaded the drivers for and installed a Linksys Notebook Adapter and I cannot seem to connect to my wireless network at home. I have a wireless netgear router, the router is 802.11g and so is the notebook adapter. The laptop has...

How do I connect two xp computers [ 4 Answers ]

How do I connect two xp computers

How to connect computers for Lan [ 1 Answers ]

I am Fresher in Networking Field, I want to know different ways of coneecting computers for lan, How to create Proxy server, DNS

How to connect two computers? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Everybody.. I'm new to computers.. n I've got two computers at home with windows xp running on them. I would like to know how to connect them to each other. I've got no NIC card and no cross over cable. Let me know the things I need them to connect. And secondly if I would like to connect them...

View more questions Search