Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2008, 08:57 AM
    The Constitution - A Living document or not
    Hello:

Righty's like people who strictly interpret the Constitution... There are others who say the Constitution must be modified to meet the times...

Which one are you?

So, now that you've decided, let's say that you're a Supreme Court Justice. An appeal is put on your desk wherein a small claims defendant was denied a jury trial over a $100 dispute. He cites the Seventh Amendment to the Constitution, where it says that "in suits of common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved...."

How do you rule?

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2008, 01:20 PM

A short brief answer :
    Strict interpretation is a misnomer What conservatives argue for is originalism.
    What does that mean ? It means that the judiciary should settle the matter based on what the founders intended or the intent of the authors of the amendment. I know of few people who argue for a strict textual interpretation.

In the case of the 7th ; before the Seventh Amendment right to a jury trial is assured a lawsuit must satisfy four requirements
    1. it must assert a claim that would have triggered the right to a jury trial under the English common law of 1791, when the Seventh Amendment was ratified.
    2.a lawsuit must be brought in federal court before a litigant may invoke the Seventh Amendment right to a jury trial.
    3.a lawsuit must assert a claim for more than $20. (this provision is always met).
    4.a lawsuit must assert a claim that is essentially legal in nature before the Seventh Amendment applies. There is no right to a jury trial in civil actions involving claims that are essentially equitable in nature.

An originalist likes juries. An originalist notes that jury trials are noted in all the framing documents ,the bill of rights, the Constitution itself ,and even the Declaration of Independence where the framers justified splitting with the crown because they were not granted the right to jury trials

The Framers liked juries . They considered it the equivalent of a check and balance to arbitrary judges. They empowered juries to not only weigh the evidence of a specific case;but also to weigh the justice of a law itself (nullification) .

I would like to point out that in this issue it is the liberal ,broad interpretation living breathing constitution type judges who have been weakening the rights of the defendants and not the originalist. That is why so often jury trials are removed through statutes of legislative law and judicial fiat.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2008, 02:00 PM

Similarly, in a criminal case, a conviction is not obtained by proving the defendant did something or another; it is obtained when there is proof that the defendant intended the act. 'Intent' is the key; the point being, constitutionalists look to the intent of the constitutioon, not some voodoo legalism propounded by organic theorists.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2008, 02:02 PM
    Hello George:

Thanks. I was wondering where you been.

excon

PS> Aren't you thrilled with Obama?? Ok, I had to rub it in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Personal Living Residence into the Living Trust? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear, Placement of Personal Living Residence into the Living Trust? Thanks & Regards

Are your By law No. 1 same as Constitution [ 2 Answers ]

I operate a small not for profit association. We were legally incorporated in 2001. Since then we have only had by law No. 1 and I have treated it as our Constitution. Are they the same? Do motions that were duly passed at AGM's get added to by laws? What is the difference between a by law...

US Constitution [ 3 Answers ]

What part of the US constitution states that children cannot be charged for the crimes their parents commit? (example: father commits murder... son can't be charged with fathers murder)... Do you have an exact quote or site I could visit to see that law?

US Constitution [ 2 Answers ]

Compare two specific articles of the Magna Carta with articles or amendments found in the U.S. Constitution. In your opinion, why were these chapters important to incorporate into the Constitution?

You. S. Constitution [ 2 Answers ]

Why were blacks considered 3/5th of a person? Thanks

View more questions Search