Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Jun 16, 2006, 01:28 AM
    Diagnosing memory leak
    Hi, I am currently trying to troubleshoot a memory leak on a w2k3 server (sp1). Poolmon.exe had identified a tag called "Thre" as leaking!

I used the Microsoft memory diagnostic to test the ram on the machine and sure enough it came up with quite a few errors! - Job done I thought - just replace the ram and you're done.

New ram in machine - tested again - still errors. Uh Oh, must be the Mobo! Rang Dell to get some advice on this, ended up using their memory diagnostic on the server and it found no errors. Whilst it was testing I noticed that the memory range wasn't going as high as the area where the fault was found on the Microsoft test. I mentioned this to Dell support and they suggested the Microsoft testing program was checking the pagefile! (sounds daft to me)

Does anyone have any experience of this, as the hard disk on the system has since shown some faults.

Anyone have any experience of troubleshooting "Thre" memory leaks?

Thanks in advance for any nudges in the right direction anyone can give!

Stu
    shadowrdr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2006, 08:56 AM
    Try memtest. Download and make the boot disk. If you have an AMD setup use test 5 and run at least 10 passes. To access test 5, after memtest loads press c,1,3,5,enter0.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Jun 19, 2006, 04:46 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion, I am really trying to decide why the dell memory tester didn't test the same range of memory as the Microsoft one (and therefore passed)!?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pny memory [ 5 Answers ]

Has any one had any experience with PNY memory? I saw Tiger Direct had some on sale for a good price. The reviews aren't so good. Many incompatible problems. I have a emachines t3882. There website said it could take 400mhz pc3200 512mb ddr memory. I haven't looked inside my machine yet to see what...

Memory [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference bet. Physical memory and virtual memory. I have a total physical memory of 256MB and available is 29.70 MB while virtual is 2.00GB and available 1.96MB. Does this mean that I do not have enough space that's why I'm having slow startup?

Not enough memory [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, sometimes when I attempt to connect to a web site, doesn't matter which one, I get a message that says not enough memory to run this program close one or more programs. If I do C/A/D to see what is running, the normal stuff is there and then Webshots, webshots all the way down the little...

View more questions Search