Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maralody Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2008, 06:56 AM
    Lien on my bank account
    I currently have a lien on my account from a debtor. This lien was issued in GA. I live in NY and can not get to GA to go to court, what should I do? What is next?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 8, 2008, 07:32 AM

You may have to hire an attorney to represent you in GA.

You can try applying for a change of venue in NY courts.

Nov 8, 2008, 07:47 AM
    How do I apply for a change of venue?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2008, 07:56 AM
    Hello m:

Liens aren't placed on accounts until AFTER a judgment has been rendered. If that's so, you don't need to go to court, because it's all finished.

You need to work out a deal with the creditor, or they'll just empty the account.

excon

Nov 8, 2008, 12:52 PM
    I tried to call the creditors and they told me that there is nothing they can do at this point. They have emptied the accounts, but said I had 40 days to pay them. What happens if I can not/do not have the total payment in 40 days? Would they then try to garnish my paycheck?
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2008, 12:55 PM
    Hello again m:

They surly might if your state allows it.

excon

Nov 8, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Thank you for the help. This was done by a court in GA. I live in NY, which state do I abide by?
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2008, 01:03 PM
    Hello m:

If you work in NY, it's NY laws that apply.

Ex
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 8, 2008, 01:26 PM

But the court order from GA is honored there, but they can only garish to the limits NY has set.

But if you owe the money, and the judgement is valid, there is nothing to do in court, unless you cann prove you don't owe the money
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 8, 2008, 04:09 PM

As excon said, if they attached your accounts that means they obtained a judgement.

So the question becomes where you aware of the debt and of being sued? If you were, then there is nothing you can do, they won the right to collect on the debt. If you don't pay, they will use the judgement any way they can to collect.

However, if you weren't aware of the suit, then you might get the judgement vacated and then fight it.

Browse around through this forum and the Bankruptcy and Debt forum and you will find several threads from people in similar circumstances. This may give you some ideas on what to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lien on bank account [ 4 Answers ]

11 years ago my wife had some dental work. We were dating but not married at the time. An attorney bought the debt from the dentist and had worked out a payment with my wife. We had to go into bankruptcy but the trustee dismissed the case after a few months. Now the attorney has put a lien on our...

Lien on bank account [ 2 Answers ]

I opened a new account at a bank two weeks ago. I was contacted by the fraud department and was informed that the bank had accidentally sent my bank statement to another customer. I was told that the bank was putting a hold on my account, so there would be no further activity. I was told to...

Lien on Bank Account [ 1 Answers ]

My brother and I jointly own the house I live in. My brother has moved out and lives out of the county. Due to unpaid real estate taxes ($6,000) the County of Fairfax, Va. Has placed a bank lien on my brothers bank account. I have not received such a notice as of yet. What does this mean for my...

Lien on bank account [ 2 Answers ]

I have a judjment lien against my bank account. What go in this account are Socical Security cheks (exempt incomes). How do I do to have this lien removed or the money freed ? Thanks.

View more questions Search