Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    penelopepi Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2006, 08:40 PM
    Fiberglass Tub Install
    I've been reading up on doing this and see that it is addressed here slightly, with the help of speedball1, I believe. Anyway, we want to do the job right and would like to know if there are specifics on the web on how to put the cement down. Do we frame in under the tub so the cement doesn't spread out too much? If you can explain this in a little more detail, or point me to a good web site, I would appreciate it as I could use a bath from my house instead of the park down the road. Also, are there specs on the web for tub faucet installs?
    Thanks!
    Penny
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 16, 2006, 10:29 AM
    Hi Penny,

You puddle the mortar/cement up in a mound and let the weight of the tub "squish" it down. Do not put any weight in it until the cement/mortar sets up and hardens. This link may be helpful.
    http://www.clarionbathware.com/image...STALLATION.pdf.
    Good luck, Tom

Jun 21, 2006, 10:54 AM
    Thanks for your help. I used autofill when I signed up and didn't realize my email address was going to be my user name, now I need to find out how to unsubscribe, then start over.

Q: The tub we bought has holes around the rim/lip going up against the wall. Is this for a surround piece? My spouse was thinking about trying to cover with tiles instead of butting them up to the top of the rim. It didn't seem like the fit would be good, he'd have to bring out the wall for it to be even. If this makes sense to you or whomever, could you give us some ideas on what to do with the screw holes? We are also thinking of filling them in. We are not using a surround.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 21, 2006, 11:39 AM
    I can't help with the tile wall. That's a separate trade. We use the holes on the lip to secure the tub to the stud wall.
    "I need to find out how to unsubscribe, then start over."
    Let me know the user name you wish to use and I'll get it changed for you.
    Regards, tom

Jun 21, 2006, 02:01 PM
    When you say stud wall, would that be through the durock or under that, the actual 2x4 stud? My book is coming soon, so I won't ask so many q's after that :).
    I would like the username penelopepi, since Penny & Penelope has been taken. Thanks for your help.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 22, 2006, 06:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    When you say stud wall, would that be through the durock or under that, the actual 2x4 stud? My book is coming soon, so I won't ask so many q's after that :).
    I would like the username penelopepi, since Penny & Penelope has been taken. Thanks for your help.
    As a rule the tub gets set first before the dry wall goes in. We nail/screw the lip to the wood stud to secure it.
    I passed on your request about a name change to one of the mods and he will take care of it. You may ask as many questions bas you wish. That's why we're here. Cheers, tom

Jun 25, 2006, 01:57 PM
    Thanks!

How do you hide the lip with the screws in it? If this is more of a tile question, I will ask elsewhere. (looking for askmehelpdesk.com/tile) now.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 25, 2006, 03:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Thanks!

How do you hide the lip with the screws in it? If this is more of a tile question, I will ask elsewhere. (looking for askmehelpdesk.com/tile) now.
    The drywall's installed over the lip and the tile's installed over the drywall.
    Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking Fiberglass Tub/Shower [ 3 Answers ]

undefinedundefinedHi, We purchased a 2 year old Colonial three months ago. Last week, after a bath in the upstairs master bathroom, I notice two lines of wetness (in the drywall seams)on the dining room ceiling which is directly below the master bath. We inspected the tub, and noticed a new crack...

Concrete vs. Fiberglass [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking for a reason NOT to use premade fiberglass shells. Any insights? Am I missing something?

Fiberglass shower/tub removal [ 1 Answers ]

Would like advice/instruction on how to remove a fiberglass all-in-one shower/tub unit. Thanks in advance for help!

Leaky fiberglass shower [ 5 Answers ]

We remodeled our home recently and this included removing a tile shower and replacing it with a fiberglass shower which was on the second floor. The installation was done by a plumber. We noticed it leaking almost from the start. It drips into the room below down the ceiling fan only when my...

Fiberglass Shower Leak [ 2 Answers ]

My second floor fiberglass surround shower is causing a leak from the first floor ceiling. I don't know what to start with to try to fix it. I hope someone can help me.

View more questions Search