Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Nov 7, 2008, 11:43 PM
    Torn skin at the corner of the mouth.
    You know how when the skin splits at the corner of your mouth and it drives you nuts and turns disgusting looking? I can feel that starting, how do I prevent/stop it before it turns gross?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2008, 12:00 AM

Hi, Momma!

When that happens to me, the first things that I try are applications of petroleum jelly or vitamin E.

Why do you think that the skin is splitting, please?

Thanks!
    Vision Expert

Nov 8, 2008, 12:07 AM

I don't know WHY...

And I have neither of those... would carmex work?
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2008, 12:34 AM

Probably. But, I would be leery of using anything that had any sort of fragrance and/or dye in it, if you know what I mean. I hope that I said that correctly, but I think that you probably know what I mean...

Your skin breaking is most likely due to dryness. It happens to me every winter.

When I purchase vitamin E, I get it in the liquid form that's in the gel enclosure. In order to use it, I stick a needle into the enclosure and apply it by squeezing the enclosure.

If I recall, Carmex is something that's pretty neutral and simple like petroleum jelly.

Would that be correct?

I'm a little embarrassed here because I'm not sure that I'm using the correct terminology for things, but I hope that you know what I'm meaning.

Thanks!
    Vision Expert

Nov 8, 2008, 12:48 AM

I know exactly what you mean... I think carmex might actually BE petroleum jelly, but don't know... and actually can't find mine, hoping I won't need to go to the store. It's looking kind of icky already.
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2008, 01:06 AM
    I know what you mean about the weather! It's starting to not look so good here also! :(

Here, let me toss some vitamin E gel your way. Ready to catch! Please be careful, or they might scatter all over the place! :D

Name:  Vitamin E Soft Gel.jpg
Views: 3220
Size:  134.5 KB
    Vision Expert

Nov 8, 2008, 01:10 AM

Haha, that's cute... I wish I had something... I don't... would neosporin be bad?
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2008, 01:22 AM

You could try it. But, it might have some things in it that might be irritating. I would test and try it very sparingly. If I recall correctly, and may be incorrect about what I remember, it was dark and I really didn't like it. But, perhaps it might work on you.

There are a couple of other products that might help. One would be the Udder Balm type of products - there are a number of them. There's also something called Zim's Crack Crème.
    Vision Expert

Nov 8, 2008, 01:31 AM

No, neosporin is clear... That is the only thing here that I have... it's 12:25, I'm not going out right now... So I'm trying to improvise.
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2008, 01:37 AM

Please do get something that's neutral and benign. If you go to any of the Hispanic sections of a grocery or drug store, sometimes there are products there for these types of problems that will also help. They just might have different names...
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Nov 8, 2008, 05:58 AM

Hey you... ran into your question (as to why it happens). With mine, it always happens when my mouth is dry (like when you first wake up) and I yawn. Try to wet your lips before you do your good-morning yawn.

Clough is right on with his idea about vaseline... but I have used neosporin before as well. Carmex, I would think, would work to... because it is made for cracked and dry lips :)

Hope it heals soon for you momma.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 8, 2008, 06:53 AM
    It can be caused by the above-mentioned causes, but also a lack of vitamin C. Stay away from Carmex for something like this because Carmex can actually become addictive and can worsen the problem.

While Carmex lubricates your lips at first, there are drying agents in carmex that actually begin to dry your lips out after long term use, causing you to have to use more and more, while drying you more and more.

Neosporin is GREAT. It is a triple antibiotic ointment so this will keep any possible infection from setting in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Torn between the 2 [ 6 Answers ]

Hey I'm 17 years old and there is this guy that the past 6 to 7 months We've been talking but he never seemed to want to be my boyfriend so it made me want him even more! Time went by and now he is in love with me but sometimes I feel I waited to long for him and now I lost interest,but I think...

Torn between the two [ 1 Answers ]

I've been dating this guy for a year he already had a girlfriend when I met him. He went away for 7 months I met someone else but I still love him and he still have feelings for me He also still have this same girlfriend I just want to know if I should let us go or just let us be:confused:...

Torn [ 15 Answers ]

Hi my name is carmela, I am 38 years old and been married for twenty years to the same man. We have four children together. Recently I have been having these strong attraction feeling with a male friend of ours that I known for 10 years. When I first met the my friend we click instant we are both...

Dark skin above mouth [ 1 Answers ]

I have developed dark skin above my mouth which looks like a moustache - most annoying. Have tried meladerm, which hasn't worked. Can you help?

Uneven skin tone around mouth! [ 3 Answers ]

Hello evry one! I have a problem with my skin. I have a darker skin tone around my mouth then the rest of my face. It almost looks like a shadow or beard of some sort and looks masculine but im sure its not hair. I dont know if its just the colour of my skin (olive skin tone) or what. I...

View more questions Search