Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hawkblue_inaz Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2008, 10:50 PM
    1953 $5 Red Sealed bill
    I'm one of those people who collects a little bit of everything. The problem is, you only know a little bit about what you got/ so here's my qestion. I know this is probably pretty simple stuff for money collectors. I found a $5 bank note with the serial number B53879250A. As I said, the seal is red and so are the serials. I read something that said basically that these weren't backed by gold at the time. It was really short, so I couldn't get much from it. Any help on what I have would be great. Thank you so much.

By the way. It's not in real great shape. Not horrible, but what you'd expect after 55 years I suppose. Not that I'm looking to seell it, but what would it be worth. I think it's a pretty cool thing to have though. And it's at least worth 5 bucks...
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2008, 11:05 PM

hawkblue_inaz - Some are valuable ,it is more so to a collector then just anyone ,
    Now what I need from you is on the SERIES DATE is there a letter following the date, EXAMPLE _ 1953 ,1953A 1953 B 1953 C ,etc etc ;; There are 7 different ones, ALSO What will help is if you can make out one or both SIGNATURES :: Get me this information and I will be able to answer your question. Have a great day and GOD BLESS ;;F.B.E.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2008, 11:23 PM

Hi, hawkblue_inaz!

If you're able to post an image of it here, that would also be helpful.

Thanks!

I hope that you're doing okay, brother Flying Blue Eagle!

Nov 8, 2008, 09:42 AM
    The series number is 1953 A. The treasurer was Grey Baker Priest and the secretary of the tres. Was Robert B. Anderson. I'll try to get a picture up later. My camera is out of juice at the moment. Thanks again for the help.
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2008, 10:06 PM

Hawkblue_inaz -
    SEARIES -1953A :: SIGNATURES ARE ---
    Priest - ANDERSON :: RED SERIAL NUMBERS :: RED SEAL ( IS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF LINCOLNS PICTURE IT IS A National bank note ;;
    VF-20 UNC-63
    #1656. - $ 8.50 $ 35.00
    # 1656 _ $ 25.00 $ 75.00 The $ 5.00 note you have ( united bank note ) were printed from 1953
    Through 1963. RED SEAL IS TO THE RIGHT OF LINCOLNS PICTURE< RED SERIAL
    NUMBERS:: The previous notes prior to 1953 were printed with the RED SEAL
    TO LINCOLNS LEFT :: Also in 1964 this was added to the back side
    ( IN GOD WE TRUST )
    These values are out of the 2008 RED BOOK ON USA CURRENCY, IN THE 1999 BLACK BOOK ON USA CURRENCY
    THIS is the values then ABP GOOD V-FINE UNC *UNC ( STAR NOTE )
    $ 6.00 $ 7.50 $ 11.00 $ 20,00 $ 35.00
    I hope tjhis helps you with your question, If you need any more help on this subject ,just come back to this
    post and give us the information, Have a very good day and GOD BLESS ::: F.B.E.

PS CLOUGH CAN GIVE YOU A STICKY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS ON CONDITIONS ON CURRENCY < THANKS CLOUGH F.B.E.

Nov 9, 2008, 07:15 PM
    Thank you all for the info. Does anyone know why they were different though?
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2008, 10:30 PM

hawkblue_inaz - I have been doing some studying tonight on your question you asked just abovethiws post . I found that the RED SEAL AND REDSERIAL NUMBERS STARTED BACK IN ABOUT 1862, with the new currency comeing out, and most of the reason for a lot of the colors were to deter counterfitters at one time the RED STARS were used just as décor, around the edge of the bill.. AS I do more study on this subject I will let you know the resilts of what I find out Haver a good day and GOD BLESS :: F.B.E.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2008, 04:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Blue Eagle View Post

PS CLOUGH CAN GIVE YOU A STICKY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS ON CONDITIONS ON CURRENCY < THANKS CLOUGH F.B.E.
    Hi, F.B.E.

Yes, I can do a sticky about this! Please let me give it some thought though. I would want it to be just right! A sticky is something that's needed in this topic area now for people to see in order to guide them the best way! I will post something about what I will post as a sticky. I would appreciate your expert opinion on what I post.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2008, 07:54 PM

CLOUGH - thanks , just as soon as you figure out and post it ,I WILL STUDY IT AND GET RIGHT BACK TO YOU ON IT , But what I figurted was one for coins and one for paper currency , It would saver a lot of time ,and that way posters would know right ofgf ,JUST WHAT IS NEEDED TO BE OOSTED IN ORDER FOR ME OR SOMEONER ELSE CAN GET THE ANSWER THAT THE ONE IS POSTING WANTS SOONER , You and I have been having to post back to them that this is needed or thsat is needed for it to even be looked up , I believe you know what I mean >> Thanks For your help on this :: You have a extra good day tomorrow and a safe one , I go to the big coty again for the next two days for doctor appointments , I have two tomorrow then two the next day , I will let you know what happens as soon as I find out . Your friend RICHARD <:GOD BLESS ;;(FG.B.E,)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to Know About 1953 Five Dollar Bill [ 6 Answers ]

That's funny, I came across this site because I googled a five dollar bill that sounds just like Angelos, except like the guy above me, mine says the Sec of Treasury is C. Douglas Dillion and the Treasurer is Elizabeth Rudel Smith. There are no stars on my serial number. It is a 1953 B series. ...

1953 $2 dollar bill [ 5 Answers ]

I just got a 1953 $2 dollar bill. It is an A series in red letter and numbers. Signed by Priest and Anderson. A 50633688 A. If anyone could tell me how much it is worth I would really be thankful. :) :confused:

1953 Red Ink $2 bill [ 5 Answers ]

Okay, I am no expert by any means, but from my reading up on things, I would say that this $2 bill I have from 1953 w/ red ink is in Very Fine condition... the serial number is A44449637 A... the letter in the corner is I, along w/ a very small number 7 next the letter in the bottom right hand...

1953 silver certificate [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1953 silver certificate. It's in pretty good condition, just a fold down the center. It's got a blue stamp and the serial number is A78110304A. I'm just curious to know if it happens to be worth anything and if it is, then what? Thanks... :D

1953 $2 bill [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1953 $2 bill in good to great shape its serial number is A22544130A (in Red) I also have a $1 bill in so so shape serial # z38294569A (blue) With a Blue seal Any clue what they might be worth?

View more questions Search