Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mommymichell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2008, 08:40 PM
    My daughter wants to be adopted
    My boyfriend and I are getting married in August of 09 and my 10 year old daughter wants him to adopt her. Her biodad is seldom around and is not on her birth certificate he has no leagel rights I have sole leagel custudy but her bio dad does pay support what can we do?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 7, 2008, 09:14 PM

As long as the bio dad will sign over his rights.

And of course he has rights, to have custody you had to prove he was the father with a DNA test, which gave him rights. He may not be using them, he may not have went to court over it. But he would have visit rights if he wanted.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2008, 08:19 AM

The bio dad does have rights. Did you go to court for support? If so then as Fr. Chuck said he was proven to be the father which gives him rights he just might choose not to use them. So get married and once you have been married for a year ask her bio dad if he will be willing to allow the adoption. If he does sign to allow the adoption then his support will stop (motivation for some) but he doesn't have to allow it.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2008, 01:49 PM

If her father pays child support then he does have rights regardless if his name is on the birth certificate.

Also, he has the rights to not terminate his rights for his daughter to be adopted by your future husband. Sadly to say it doesn't matter to the court how much time he spends with her because no court can't enforce that however they can make and enforce him to pay child support. Is he current with his order?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want my adopted daughter back! [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter was taken by cps and my rights were terminated the reason they took my rights was because she had been with the foster family for so long which was only a year they gave me no other reasons. The adoption just went through and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to get her...

Trying to find my adopted daughter [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, My daughter was taken from my ex when she was 9-10 years old. She is now 23. I believe she still lives in Michigan. Her name (was) britnay nicole hoffer, born October 25th, 1985 in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I don't have a lot of money that these places want or ask to help you...

My daughter was adopted illegaly [ 7 Answers ]

When I was 16 I got pregnant when my baby was 4 months some girls called Cyfd onme cause they were jelouse they liked my babies dad my daugter was placed with my aunt for six months cause I sighned over power of attorney to her it was better than her going into the system after the 6 months my...

I think I adopted my daughter Illeagaly [ 5 Answers ]

When I was 17 I had a baby girl with a boy who was abusive... We sigh:confused: ned a for that says RELINQUISHMENT OF INFANT BY PARENTS.. There were no attornys around or a notory.. so does this mean it was illeagal.. Is there such thing as RELINQUISHMENT OF INFANT BY PARENTS paper or what? I was...

How would my husband adopted my daughter [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is amber. My husband wants to adopted my daughter, but we don't know where her bio father is. How do I do this . How would I go about my husband adopting her?

View more questions Search