Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hammy_152 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2008, 06:22 PM
    Travelling alone!
    Just after Christmas I am travelling from Australia to Europe alone (I am 16 years old). Although I have travelled that distance before it has never been without my parents. I am fine with the flight itself and being away from home but I am rather worried about the stopover(s). I am scared that I'll get lost, miss my flight, etc. Do you have any tips for me to help make my journey as smooth as possible?
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2008, 07:10 PM

So for the periods that you'll be alone you'll be in an airport? If so I would rely heavily on the airline staff for help. Tell them when you first arrive to check in that you're alone, tell them on the flights, and tell them at all points in between. They should be more than happy to help assist you.

Also, I would recommend NOT telling anyone else that you're travelling alone. In fact if anyone tries to engage you in conversations, etc I would go so far as to say, "sorry, I can't talk, I've got to meet my mom and dad."

I still just go back to relying on the airline staff as much as possible. They DON'T want to lose a teenager travelling alone. That would be a huge liability for them. And I'm sure they're at least somewhat used to people in your situation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 7, 2008, 07:23 PM

Your parents can discuss this with airline staff prior to getting the ticket. They may be able to arrange some assistance.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2008, 07:23 PM

My daughter traveled overseas on her own at 16 as well... she had two stopovers... one in Tennessee and one on Amsterdam. We checked out the airports online. You can see which gate your plane will arrive in, and where you will need to go to make your connecting flight. You can also find where places are to get something to eat, shops, toilets, etc.. It helped to have an idea of the layout of the area she would be in at each airport.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What I need to get into a Travelling career [ 1 Answers ]

HI there, Just wondering if you guys can help me change my career path. I just finished school last year and I have been working in Real Estate for 6 months and I want to work in a travel agencies as Real Estate is not what I epected. What qualifications I need? Do I need to do any courses and...

Travelling matters [ 1 Answers ]

I am a malawi passport holder, please do I need visa to travel to turkey

Travelling tips [ 1 Answers ]

Last time my aunt and uncle came down, they took me and their daughter along with some of our other cousins to the beach. I took rex with me because he loves the beach. My aunt was so impressed by how he acted at the beach and at home that when she invited me and my mom to her house, she told me to...

Travelling on OPT [ 1 Answers ]

Hi.. I am going to complete my studies in Dec.-2008.. And, after that I want to go to India.. and also want to return to USA.. So what should I need to do.. Is it possile to return on OPT? IF yes, then when should I apply for OPT.. Can I travel with new I-20 for other course as I'll be...

View more questions Search