Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lookingfor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2006, 03:31 PM
    Looking to do the right thing.
    I live with 5 other girls in a house. We all share rent and utilities. Our toilet got plugged and it may have been from a tampax. Two of us admitted we'd flushed tampax down the toilet in the past because we didn't know we weren't supposed to. The plumbing bill came to $120 and the other girls think it should be paid by me and the other girl who admitted she'd made the mistake. How can we be sure a visiting friend couldn't have made the same mistake. I think it's fair to share the cost & warn anyone coming to visit to be sure they don't flush down sanitary products. What is your take. I want to be fair.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 15, 2006, 03:50 PM
    In living togther, the trust and sense of unity is important for a hamonious atmosphere. Use this experience to decide here and now that all circumstances like this will be shared equally unless the culprit can be proved with certainty. It is a part of the inherent responsibilities that come with renting, I believe. You are all at risk of someone making a mistake.

Put a sign in the bathroom and hope everyone obliges, including visitors. But know ahead of time that if its stopped up again or a window mysteriously is broken or some other fairly anonymous event occurs, the overall principle is you will share and share alike, like the six Musketeerettes if you will!

If you don't decide that now, then only folks who are openly honest will be burdened, not necessarily all the responsible parties and that, frankly, will do more damage to your peaceful group dynamics than any $20 a piece plumbing bill.

It will be interesting to see what others think here too. Thanks for posting!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2006, 09:07 PM
    Honestly,

If I was one of your roommates, I wouldn't want to pay anything for something YOU and the other roommate broke.

Maybe others did it too, but those that admitted it should be responsible.

Can you push this issue? Yes. But that will only create resentment and anger.

We are talking about $120 here.

You half is $60. If all the roommates pay up, its $20.

It might not be such a good idea to get into a war over $40.

You clogged the toilet by flushing it down (and your other roommate), I think you 2 should be the only ones responsible to pay it.

Legally, you all probably will be held equally accountable. But do you really want this to cause this many problems amongst you all? It will make living together more unbearable.

And don't be surprised if the other 4 then give notice and move somewhere else.
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

Jun 16, 2006, 04:55 PM
    Well I think you and the other friend have to pay this one to have peace and harmony again.
    Next time think before you admit any guilt on your part! Leave room for the possibility of a guest being guilty too(in a legal sense) Remember that you admitted too soon last time before all possible facts had you considered then- you wouldn't say you flushed anything down because you know how that ending went and next time you will learn (I hope) from your mistake.
    But you really have to swallow your pride and pay the $60!

I don't say don't be honest. Just be wise. Sometimes it's just the $$. Thou shalt be humble!. lol.. :(
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Jun 16, 2006, 06:51 PM
    I am willing to bet that the other roomates have flushed there down too.
    But didn't have the guts to step up and take some responsibility.

I say everyone pays a share.
    If everbody loses a little money then everyone will remember not to flush things down the toilet.

Especially when is says on the package do not flush.
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jun 17, 2006, 06:01 AM
    I don't think JUST ONE caused a clog. Most likley there are tree roots down there making it easier for things to clog the main drain.

As an idea I would propose everyone kick in 10 bucks a month or so to pool into an account for these types of group expenditures.

Shouldn't the landlord have taken care of this?
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Jun 17, 2006, 07:57 AM
    I think that you two are probably not alone. You just wanted to do the right thing by admitting your part. There are a lot of valid points in this post. Is it worth losing friends, roomates over by insisting on splitting everything? I think I would just suck it up and pay it even though I don't believe this to be fair. I think this is in the best interest of keeping the peace. I guess it depends on how much you value the living situation.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2006, 05:31 AM
    Hi,
    You have some good answers.
    Do you all have an "agreement", either written out, or just verbally, that you will share any expenses such as this?
    You should have an agreement that when something happens, needing someone else to fix it, you will share equally, the cost.
    This will stop any fighting, and if it's in writing, the better.
    I am 64, and many, many years ago, shared an apartment with another. We agreed on things such as this beforehand, to avoid later hard feelings! Friends can be great, until it comes to money sometimes.
    Best of luck.
    Here_To_Help- Jon Posts: 97, Reputation: 26

Jun 27, 2006, 09:18 AM
    Ask the other girls in the house if they have ever done it.. and split the cost with anyone who steps up and says they have. Id forget about the "visitor" theory. Worst case you will be out $60... pay it, move on... jon
    imlex Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2006, 11:46 AM
    Well to be fair,all should share the bill,its unlikely the two of you are only to blame as the others will more than likely have done the deed too,split it,agree to make facilities available and agree to all use them, a notice is a good idea,just on the back of the door,it can't hurt can it.its all give and take when sharing anything and housing is no different for peace all round.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is there such a thing? [ 2 Answers ]

Is there such a thing as a reliable lawn tractor , not garden tractor,under $1000?? Any comments are welcome

What Is This Thing? [ 3 Answers ]

Terresa Marie, my friend, felt something sticking her in the back. When I unsipped the dresss this is what I found. She has been bitten by a Brown Recluse Spider and is deathly afraid of them. I attempted to identify the bug on the internet but no joy. Does anyone know what it is? Thanks, ...

Is this the right thing to do? [ 6 Answers ]

OK so I have this ex and he knows I still like him and one week he will say o I love you still to and then the next week he will ignore my calls and text and everything so what I've been trying to do is avoied him and stuff like that like I took him out of my pro and all this and when he ims or...

This odd thing with my ex? [ 9 Answers ]

Hey Thanks for reading this post, but I'm a little stumped on what to do with my ex girlfriend. We had only gone out for a month, which is not long at all, but she wants to keep a line of communication. I agreed, and now we talk on MSN every night. So she contacts me anytime during the night, we...

Am I doing the right thing? [ 9 Answers ]

? I met this 23 year old guy this past May. We started dating and everything was fine. After a whole and huge mess we broke up this past September. I didn't see him for 3 months. Then we saw each other again a week before Christmas and we got back together. Eveything has been really good. A...

View more questions Search