Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laurenforrest Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Does child support cover school registration?
    I live in Illinois. Does child support cover school registration and supplies for children under the age of 17?
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Nov 7, 2008, 02:52 PM

It really depends on what is defined in the support order. Some will ask that the non custodial parent pay a percentage on top of the 25% income. It truly depends on your individual court order and your state.
    08_777444 Posts: 111, Reputation: 16

Nov 9, 2008, 10:11 AM
    The individual paying child support is not legally obligated to pay for registration, school supplies, school clothes, books, etc. in addition to the child support unless the court order states so. If you do not have a court order stating that the other parent is to pay for school expenses, then the other parent is forever relieved of the obligation. You could always go back to court to try and have school expenses bargained into the order, but that would probably cost a few.

The circumstances vary with each individual case, but it is usually left up to the parent who receives the child support to purchase any school related items for the child. It is assumed that the child support will be allocated to such expenses if you did not request them in addition to the child support.

As a matter of fact, the other parent does not have a legal obligation to purchase any additional items for the child whatsoever, related to school or otherwise, unless it is stated in the court order. They don't even have to buy the child Christmas presents or birthday presents if they don't want to. The only thing they are legally obligated to pay is their child support. The other parent should help, but if they don't want to, that is their prerogative.

I believe in presence over presents, so if the other parent is there for their child in every other way, and they do pay their support on time, I would purchase the items myself… but that is only because I don't like to argue, I wouldn't like to see my kids go without, and I don't like going to court.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Continued child support when child quits school [ 9 Answers ]

I live in New York & this is my question... Does one have to continue paying support when the child quits school at 17? His mother will not enforce any rules on the child & will not make the child work or at least get his GED. Mother & father were never married, court ordered support payments,...

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Child Support after the age of 18 and still attending school [ 1 Answers ]

My friend has a daughter who is about to turn 18, she wants to know what she has to do to keep her daughter on child support because she will be going to college. Does she have to submit anything or will something come in the mail?

Canadian Law: child support when child is not in school [ 3 Answers ]

If child completes university and is 23 years of age If she decides to take off one year and then goes back to school is she still eligible to receive child support

What dates does child support actually cover? [ 15 Answers ]

Is child support paid in arrears or in advance? I live in Fl. my courtordered child support is paid directly to me from my ex, after a year and a half he's trying to convince me that he's ahead of the game because all support is paid in arrears, meaning if he pays me on April 25th, he's actually...

View more questions Search