Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    James Mayberry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2006, 01:26 PM
    Safety valve leaking
    I installed new pressure switch and new tank, also new pressure gauge, also replaced the safety valve. Pressure switch is set to kick on at 40 psi and off at 65 psi, safety valve is suppose to open at 75 psi. How ever I get a small amount of leakage from the safety valve. What's my problem?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2006, 09:14 PM
    65 PSI is very high for the cut off pressure in a normal domestic water system. But if the safety switch is new I don't understand unless the tank is out in the sun and some way the heat is making the preasure rise in the tank after it cuts off at 65 PSI. Had I installed the new switch for you and it leaked I would have installed another one. So wherever you got the switch might replace it or refund your money.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 16, 2006, 07:52 AM
    This is a common complaint. If you have a backflow preventer or check valve installed on your water service with no expansion tank, (see image) then you will have this problem until you install one. Let me explain.
    First you have to understand a expansion tanks function. When new codes forced us to install check valves and backflow preventers on water service lines that made your water system a closed system. That meant that when the heated water expended it could no longer expand back along the water service line and would build up pressure in the syatem. This would kick off the T & P ,(Temperature and Pressure Relief) valve aqnd the valve would discharge hot water out the relief line. To prevent this we installed a Expansion,(Air) tank on the heaters cold water supply line for some place the water to expand to. More questions? I'm as close as a click. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking Water Shut Off Valve [ 4 Answers ]

The main water shut off valve inside the house is leaking. How do I shut off the valve "outside" the house so we can work on fixing this? The house is 16 yrs old. This is the original valve. Would you estimate that this is a simple washer problem? Or is this best left to a professional...

Leaking shower diverter valve [ 15 Answers ]

We have a three knob shower system. When the water runs into the tub a significant amount of water runs out of the central diverter valve (?correct term) knob. When this is turned water is diverted to the shower head. How does one determine how to remove and replace the diverter assembly, or could...

Fixing a leaking intake valve [ 12 Answers ]

Do I need to call a plumber to fix a leaking intake valve for cold water to my washing machine -- is this a soldering job? The valve leaks when I open it, and drips even when I shut it closed clockwise. Thanks, I tried searching this page and didn't see any previous posts, sorry if I am repeating...

Water supply valve leaking [ 3 Answers ]

Friends- I asked about water supply valve leaking a couple of weeks ago. Just got to repairing it. With some difficulty I got the packing around the stem and wonder of wonders the valve does not leak. Thank you. However, when I turned on the water supply to the house (There was no other turn...

Water supply valve leaking [ 2 Answers ]

Friends- An indoor water supply valve to an outdoor spicket is leaking around the base of the stem when I open the valve to use the outdoor faucet. Is it most likely from a deteriorated washer or O-ring? Is this corrected by turning off the house water supply, opening the outdoor faucet to...

View more questions Search