Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dtbabey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Option of 3 phase or single phase power,
    How would one decide on which to use either 3 phase or single phase power to heat an airplane hanger?
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2008, 10:26 AM

It would depend on what type of heater you are using. Generally speaking 3PH is reserved for commercial applications while single phase is for home use. Is this hanger in a commercial air park or at home? What sort of power do they have available?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2008, 10:37 AM

Motors operate more efficiently on 3 phase power. Rule of thumb 1 HP or below single phase. 5 HP and above 3 phase. The middle is a grey area, served well with 3 phase.

3 phase can have consequences, both positive and negative with respect to cost.

It's not uncommon to have 460 V 3 phase heat pumps and 277 V lighting.

One would need to do a manual J and manual D calculation to determine the size of the ducts and BTU/hr.

But then there all all sorts of ways and methods to an airplane hanger. One could be just heating, just cooling, or very comfy working environment for repairs.

Just like anything else, you have to size the system and look at options.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can three single phase loads be driven individually by single three phase supply [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... I am new this community... You are doing great job of knowledge transfer... My question: Can three single phase loads be driven individually by single three phase supply? Please clear my doubt... :confused:

How do you usually connect three single phase loads to a three phase generator? [ 2 Answers ]

How do you usually connect three single phase loads to a three phase electric generator?:)

Detail explanation of eletrical between 3 phase and single phase [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I do confuse between 3 phase and single phase,may I get some detail and comparison for each of them?

Changing out 3-phase motor for single Phase [ 1 Answers ]

Besides matching the mounts & drives, are there wiring/switching issues changing out a 220-3phase for 220-S-Phase. I am interested in switching motors in a commercial diswasher.

Single phase power vs. Three Phase Power [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any real difference in efficiency and cost between a single phase air conditioning unit and a three phase unit? Thanks, JPGREEN

View more questions Search