Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dattuj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2006, 10:12 AM
    Filing return for ITIN, ID Card requirements
    Hi,

I have come to US in Apr-2006, couple of months back. I am on H1B I have a SSN no, and I have not filled my tax returns anytime. I am located in AZ, USA.

My spouse is on H4. We don't have any children.

I have few questions regarding getting her ITIN:

1. Its still time to file my tax return for year 2006, which will be in Dec-2006 or Jan-2007. Is it possible to apply for her W-7 form to get an ITIN number without having the Tax return filled?

2. Is there anyway that I can file my tax return more than one times in advance during the year, say quarterly or so? I am asking so, so that there by I can apply for her ITIN through W-7.

3. Should I be filing my return as a Married Filing Jointly?

4. While applying for her ITIN, which of the options available in W-7 form (listed below), is most suitable for me? (In my thinking I should go with g)

---------
    a. Nonresident alien required to obtain ITIN to claim tax treaty benefit

b. Nonresident alien filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for an SSN

c. U.S. resident alien (based on days present in the United States) filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for an SSN

d. Dependent of U.S. citizen/resident alien _ Enter name and SSN/ITIN of U.S. citizen/resident alien (see instructions)

e. Spouse of U.S. citizen/resident alien

f. Nonresident alien student, professor, or researcher filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for an SSN

g. Dependent/spouse of a nonresident alien holding a U.S. visa

h. Other (see instructions)
    ---------

5. A side question - any idea of if ITIN is necessary for H4 holders to open up a bank account or getting a driver's license, or I can have any other ID card for these purposes (She already has AZ State ID card, will that work for the above purposes?)

Thanks in advance.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 17, 2006, 08:53 PM
    Based on the info you have provided, you are a dual-status alien. You MAY file as a resident alien with your wife (filing Married Filing Jointly), in which case Item E is applicable to you. See IRS Pub 519 for details.

You have to wait until Jan 2007 to file and get your wife's ITIN. Most banks require an ITIN to open an individual account, but probably not a joint account with you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L1, Spouse on L2 ITIN Filing - Visa or I797A? [ 5 Answers ]

I am on L1 and have SSN. My wife is on L2 and does not have SSN. This is the first time I am filing under Married status. I am preparing Form W7 to be filed with Form 1040-EZ. Instructions for Form W7 Box 6C says enter nonimmigrant visa information, number and expiry date. Since our original...

Filing an amended return [ 3 Answers ]

I filed for my return already and I had a job related move which I claimed as under exemptions. I was trying to find my receipts over the weekend and could not find receipts for some $300 for the move. I am thinking of filing an amended return and putting in only the value for which I can find...

State tax filing for F1 visa holder - spouse has no ITIN/SSN [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am a student on an F-1 visa , and have a wife on an F-2 dependent visa. I can file the federal tax forms without an ITIN for my wife as I will be completing a W7 to apply for an ITIN. How can I claim my wife on any of the state tax forms, as they ask for the spouse's ITIN? Thanks in...

F1 To H1B tax return filing [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I want to know what form should I use to file my returns? Here is the information on my status. I came in USA in August 2001 on a student visa. I got my OPT in Jan 2004. And I joined a consulting firm and started earning from May 2004. Meanwhile my status was changed from F1 to...

View more questions Search