air1017 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2006, 06:20 AM
    Sentences
    Use also in a sentence
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2006, 06:27 AM
    I also like fried bananas.

This is a complete sentence, but as you can probably see, many sentences with "also" in them are dependent on other text for understanding.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 15, 2006, 06:32 AM
    Rick, wouldn't that sentence be dependent because we don't know what else you like?

"I also like bananas" -

The word also can usually be substituted for the word too -

Bring your textbook to class today, but I would like you to bring your lab manual too. Also can be substituted here -

"I would like you to bring your lab manual also.

Just my thoughts.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2006, 06:38 AM
    I am unable to find a "rule" regarding use of also, so am not completely sure... but I think grammatically "I would like you to bring your lab manual also" is also a complete sentence, but like the first example, full understanding of what it means is dependent on other text.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 15, 2006, 06:43 AM
    Yes, you are right when you say the full meaning of the sentence is dependent.

Hey, we were both right on this. However, the rules vary, especially depending on which class you are taking and who the teacher is. I had one who only wanted the word too used in senctences, and my Comp II teacher despised the word "too" and wanted us to limit the word and put "also" in it's place.
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Jun 15, 2006, 08:00 AM
    In the sentence of "I also like fried bananas" I think the meaning could change depending on context. This can either mean that you like bananas in addition to apples or, you like bananas the same as someone else.

Just thought I'd add that.
    mkbishop Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2006, 01:13 PM
    You may use also in a complete sentence in many ways; like many aspects of English grammar the correct way to use it depends on HOW you use it. If you put it at the very beginning of a sentence a comma always goes after it. For example: Also, I would like to ask about an estimate on installation. (In this case it is an introductory element of the sentence, that is, the sentence could be complete without it.)

Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to translate these sentences into French, help! [ 8 Answers ]

I need to have these sentences translated: -Natalie was born in Paris. -We see something. -Julie isn't meeting anyone. -Someone is right. -We want some ice cream. -I can drink some soda. -We're taking a pound of strawberries. -They have to learn French.

I need 2 sentences [ 1 Answers ]

I need 2 sentences for the word quote

View more questions Search