Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 6, 2008, 03:50 PM
    Napoleon propane freestanding fireplace
    Napoleon freestanding fireplace has been used for about six years without problems. Got a call today to come light the pilot. Fireplace was sooted up extremely bad. Gas pressures are fine, vent and intake are fine. Air shutters are set correctly. Nobody was home when I was working on the unit and haven't been able to contact them.

My question is this. If they ran their propane tank empty. Could the low pressure caused by this, cause the soot buildup. I would be gratefull for any input on this problem.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 6, 2008, 05:02 PM
    We both know that soot is caused by incomplete combustion. Soot does not build up that fast from one tank of propane running out. It sounds to me like it has been running dirty for some time and could have been for 6 years since it was installed. Also real cold weather plays games with some outdoor pressure regulators (been there).

Does it have the correct number propane orifice in it? Just a thought.

Run a CO on the discharge/vent side.
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 6, 2008, 05:11 PM

That's exactly what I thouhgt. Someone mentioned that the tank running dry could cause this problem. I told them they were dumb( a friend, so it was ok). The unit has the sticker that says it has been converted to lp. However, I could not contact the homeowner to find who installed the unit. And it was to late in the day to contact the suppier to see if the orifaces were converted correctly. I do have my concerns about the propane conversion not being done thoroughly. I will find out for sure in the morning.

Question... being is the inlet and oulet pressures are right on, what else could cause this.. Are you thinking that it is the orafices, as I am.
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 6, 2008, 05:15 PM
    Sorry, didn't see your advice about the co test. Will do first thing in the morning. Thanks for the help.

Also, we get very cold weather here. But the pressures are spot on as of now. I hate to replace a regulator that is working fine. I would have to actually catch it malfunctioning before I would replace it.

Once again, I appreciate any help you can give.

Nov 6, 2008, 06:44 PM
    Usually the regulator problem shows up when it is real cold anyway. Yes they are expensive. Remember the pressure of propane drops like a rock when it is cold that is why most propane tanks around here a 300 gallons and up for home use. Naturally they have a 80 % fill limit to allow for expansion.
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 7, 2008, 05:18 PM

Something has definitely happened recently. There is no way they could have not seen the soot. It was all over the place. Piles of it, couldn even see through the glass. I have never seen the likes of it. I have seen stoves that have been burning dirty for years and it still doesn't compare to this. I cleaned the stove and everything checks out. My boss called the manufactured. They are sending a new gas valve and conversion kit. (of course not under warranty, so what do they care). One step at a time I guess. Like I said, I just hate replacing parts until I have actually seen them malfunction. But a guy has to start somewere. Ill keep you posted. But it may take days or even years for the problem to arise again. Hate these kind of jobs. Makes me wish I could just wave a wand and fix the problem.

Nov 7, 2008, 07:40 PM
    This is a interesting subject. Makes you wonder why the manufacturer would send a valve and a kit unless they new the problem existed and the valve and kit was the cure..
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 9, 2008, 04:44 PM

Exactly. May have had problems with valves, but you will never get them to admitt that, otherwise they would have to have a factory recall.

Nov 9, 2008, 06:29 PM
    Wonder what is in the kit? Could be a different orifice also.
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 10, 2008, 05:43 PM

We shall see, as soon a I get the parts.
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 6, 2008, 03:38 PM

Finally got the new parts(backordered for way to long). Problem turned out to be inproper lp conversion. Orifices were changed out incorrectly. Stupid simple fix, that took way to long. But the customer is happy, and, now, so am I.

Dec 6, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Yep improper conversion will make a mess of things every time. Soot city.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Propane Gas Log Fireplace Insert Flame Goes Out [ 2 Answers ]

While my Propane Gas Log Fireplace Insert is on for about 30 minutes it all of a sudden makes a pop sound and goes out, both the piot and fireplace flame go out together. Can some one advise me what I need to do? It seems like maybe some adjustment is needed or maybe the oriface needs to be...

Propane fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I have a propane fireplace and I can not get the pilot to stay lit. I have checked all the fittings and all the valves are on and the tank is full. I had it lit and working fine and shut it off and then I went to relight it and the pilot will only stay lit if I hold the knob in.

Propane Fireplace goes off when fan turned on [ 2 Answers ]

My propane fireplace works well when the fan is off however when it is turned on the flame slowly jumps off the burner and then goes out. Why?

Propane gas fireplace insert [ 1 Answers ]

I have a propane gas fireplace insert. I turn the pilot light off and close the propane tank off turning the summer. I now need to use my fireplace insert for heat. I have opened the tank up and filled it. I can get the pilot light on and it stays on with no problem, but I can't get the...

View more questions Search