Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Exitexchange1 Posts: 9, Reputation: 6

Nov 6, 2008, 11:41 AM
    How to get an unpaid CC debt off my credit report
    I have an unpaid credit card debt that was opened in 1999, and reported in 2003. I just got a letter from a lawyer about paying it, and have started making payments on the $3000 debt. In Oregon, how long does this get to stay on my credit report? I thought an unpaid debt must be removed from my credit report seven years and 180 days from the time the account first went delinquent. And if so, how do I get it off my credit report? Thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 6, 2008, 11:56 AM

Since you are paying on the account its active. So its unlikley to be removed. You should have the attorney change the status.
    Exitexchange1 Posts: 9, Reputation: 6

Nov 6, 2008, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Since you are paying on the account its active. So its unlikley to be removed. You should have the attorney change the status.
    To change the delinquent status?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 6, 2008, 12:43 PM

Yep
    NASCAR_Devil Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2008, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Federal reporting period is very clearly spelled out in the FCRA. The state you live in determines the Statute of Limitations for legal action and has nothing to do with reporting time limits. A derogatory account may only remain on your report for 7.5 years from the Date of First Default. That is the date that you missed the first payment and the account was never again brought to a current status. If this has been sold to a Junk Debt Buyer, the DOFD still cannot change. If that time has elapsed, then dispute the tradeline as Obsolete with all reporting agencies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being Sued for Unpaid Credit Card Debt. [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings and thank you for reading my question. I have read several other post with questions similar to mine however, I wanted to put my exact situation to remove any question as to what I should do. I have been served a summons and "REQUIRED TO SERVE UPON THE PLAINTIFF'S ATTORNEY A COPY OF...

Sort my credit report out-i'm in debt [ 3 Answers ]

I owe about $7,584.00 Total in Debt as of 8-29-08 $4,153.00 In installments-delinqent accounts?? $1,047.00 In revolving accounts?? $2,357.00 In collections current accounts?? And I have a Judgement It only says Liablity Is 3200 I assume that is the amount But not sure.:confused: I...

Removing old debt from credit report [ 3 Answers ]

I printed out my credit report and found that a lot of old debt is dating back over seven years and was being sold to other collection agencies. It looks like recent debts. I thought that a debt could only be claimed for seven years and that after that it would be removed from my credit report. How...

Debt is not on credit report! [ 5 Answers ]

Ok... I have been getting letters from a collection agency about an old B of A account that I had with another person... I know that account has been closed for at least 7 to 8 years.. I recently checked my credit report and it is not listed (I checked all 3)... however, they have been sending me...

View more questions Search