Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    momo141529 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2008, 10:13 AM
    How Old Do You Need to be to Adopt
    I think my ex-stepmother is unfit to take care of my two-year-old sister. How old do you have to be to adopt a child?:confused:
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Nov 6, 2008, 10:48 AM

Are you able to support the child financially? Can you put a roof over your head, feed, cloth, transport the child to the doctor if required, etc?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Nov 6, 2008, 11:07 AM

You need to be old enough to be able to support yourself and a child without any kind of state help.

You also need to be at LEAST 18, though some states have higher age restrictions.

If you don't feel that your stepmother is fit, then you need to call CPS and get them involved before the child is injured.
    div2wice Posts: 103, Reputation: 1
    -

Nov 6, 2008, 01:03 PM
    You need to be at least 18. However you also need to be stable, both financially and emotionally. Its unlikely a court would allow a young person to adopt a child unless there really was no other option. Unfortunately, age does play a part in the adoption proceedings no matter what anyone says.
    The thing is, unless you can prove that your step mother is unfit, and actually provide proof, CPS won't do anything. If you file a complaint, they'll investigate. If they find she is unfit, they'll remove her and place her in a foster home. You'll need to let CPS know of your request to adopt, however it is completely up to them, and the judge whether you'll be able to or not. Its all based on your lifestyle, and stability (and age).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adopt again? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a six month old son who is adopted. I brought him home with me when he was 9 days old... I am single but I want to adopt again. I am financally stable, have a wonderful job that allows me to be with my son, and I have the room in my home. My friends and family say I'm crazy though... is it...

Want to adopt [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking into adoption but I don't know where to start. I need to know the requirements and everything I need to do to prepare for adopting a child, can someone please help? :(

Want to adopt [ 7 Answers ]

Hi M a 25 yrs old single woman. M working in a good company. I want to adopt a child, but m not sure what laws are there to adopt one. I don't know whether, I can adopt a baby, without having a man in my life. I have no intention of getting married , or associating with any man. So I want to know...

Would we be able to adopt? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I are unable to have children and I have been thinking a lot about adoption. The problem is that my husband got a misdemeanor a few years ago and I am wondering if this would make us ineligible?

Want to adopt [ 1 Answers ]

What would to necessary steps be to adopting a 26 illegal immigrant. He has a tax ID number and has never been in troulble with the law and has been paying taxes for three years. Hes a great man I would like to help... Any ideas!!

View more questions Search