Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cphillips Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2008, 08:46 AM
    Christmas Lights
    Hello,
    I work at a church. We are decorating for christmas and are putting lights in our trees outside. I am trying to put 120v electrical outlets on our parking lights to plug our christmas lights into. The problem is our parking lights are 240v and some are 480v. Is there a recommendation on how to do this? Should we use a transformer and wire it temporarily for christmas or any other suggestions?

Cole
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 6, 2008, 08:58 AM

You should run a separate dedicated 110v line from the circuit breaker box to new GFI outlets outside.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2008, 05:17 AM
    You can have small transformers installed at each pole, along with a GFI receptacle.

The transformers can be 240 or 480 volt primary with a 120 volt seconday output.

This is not a DIY project, and a qualified electrician is needed, as there are several aspects of connecting, protecting, and grounding transformers that must be followed.

This solution, of course, is only fesible if the circuits(s) feeding the pole lights can handle the additional load. Again, an electrician is needed to provide these calculations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Christmas Lights on the fritz [ 10 Answers ]

I have a few strings of tree light that won't work. How can I fix that and differentiate between blown fuse or blown bulb in the string.

Noma, Woods, Westinghouse, and Stanley Timers Information [ 7 Answers ]

I've lost my instructions for the NOMA Christmas light timer (model N1506). Does anyone know how it works?

Christmas lights [ 5 Answers ]

I have some christmas lights that I have out front on the lawn there are about 1500 lights total and plug into one big cord that comes up to the porch and I plug into the outlet up there, every time I plug them in at night it blows the outlet where you have to press it back in. During the day when...

Outdoor christmas lights [ 10 Answers ]

How many strands of christmas lights can you put together without blowing fuse on lights?

Frustrated with Christmas lights [ 5 Answers ]

Probably everyone knows this one but me, but what do you do about those stinky Christmas lights that don't light? Or half the string works and half doesn't. Is there an easier way than checking bulb by bulb? We have one set of lights that only the yellow ones don't work. And all of our lights...

View more questions Search