Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frajoy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2006, 08:05 PM
    Harassing or annoying calls
    Is there any law against companies, private or public, continuing to make annoying phone calls to your private residence even after you have left messages on their answering machine to stop? Also is there any law dealing with how late in the evening they can call? I have the same company calling and hanging up when they get my answering machine and when I return their call I get their machine and I have left messages to not call me any more. How can I stop annoying phone calls
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2006, 01:47 AM
    I would either call them and make sure I speak to someone and annoy them as much as they are annoying you.

Or take note of the company name and go with it to the police.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2006, 04:55 AM
    Also, be sure to add your number to the national do not call registry
    http://www.donotcall.gov/

No, it's not perfect, but I've found it's helped. And it helps further to notify the companies that you are on the list and that you will report them to the FTC if they call again.
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jun 15, 2006, 05:30 AM
    You didn't state the nature of the calls. Since rickj is right on with the Do Not Call list for telemarketers, I'll approach this answer as if it is a creditor that is calling.

A Creditor may only call within the hours of 8 am and 9pm YOUR TIME.

Here's more information: http://creditanddebt.com/creditorharassment.html

Note that according to that website, your request for a creditor to cease communications needs to be in written form.
    frajoy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2006, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Northwind_Dagas
    You didn't state the nature of the calls. Since rickj is right on with the Do Not Call list for telemarketers, I'll approach this answer as if it is a creditor that is calling.

A Creditor may only call within the hours of 8 am and 9pm YOUR TIME.

Here's more information: http://creditanddebt.com/creditorharassment.html

Note that according to that website, your request for a creditor to cease communications needs to be in written form.
    When I call the number it is some sort of rating company.?

Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    Also, be sure to add your number to the national do not call registry
    http://www.donotcall.gov/

No, it's not perfect, but I've found it's helped. And it helps further to notify the companies that you are on the list and that you will report them to the FTC if they call again.

I am already on the "do not call list" and I filed a report with them a few days ago about this company. Some sort of rating company.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord harassing me to move [ 18 Answers ]

I'm a disabled person with an in-home-care provider. I have lived in my rented home (2 houses on one lot) for 7 years. Sept 2005 the propery was sold to a couple with 2 children. They moved into the rear house and after a month of living there, told me they were the new landlords and that I need...

Should I answer his calls [ 10 Answers ]

My ex and I have been broken up for a few months now and I am not over him. He continues to call me to talk and find out how I am, and to tell me what's up with him. He has even told me he is seeing someone, so I don't understand why he even bothers calling. It hurts so much to talk to him....

Late night phone calls [ 24 Answers ]

I have always been somewhat of a night owl, and especially so now that I have a young baby to care for. Most nights I am up until 2 am and sometimes later. However, I don't like getting phone calls after a certain time, say, 10 pm or so. Tonight a friend of mine called after 11, just to talk about...

About Spartacus (calls for speculation) [ 5 Answers ]

How the history had changed if the pirates hadn't betrayed the Spartacus and his men? (I'm referring to the pirates that were to take Spartacus and his 70.000 men into Sicily but since he was betrayed, his men were slaughtered and Spartacus presumably died in the hands roman legions in Italy)

Neighbor boy harassing my daughter [ 7 Answers ]

My neighbor is 15 years old, and his mouth is atrocious. He calls my 12 year old daughter the filthiest names, which embarrass her, since he does this when she is with her girlfriends. His parents make him apologize, but then it happens again and again. This has been going on for 4 years. Since...

View more questions Search