Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CRX Vtech Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2006, 10:54 AM
    Yes
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2006, 10:55 AM
    It's probably not the igniter or coil, then.

Have you taken a test light or multimeter and checked all under-dash and under-hood fuses?

Nov 15, 2006, 10:58 AM
    All the fuses are OK haven't had a light tester or multi meter on it yet. What should it read?
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2006, 11:07 AM
    Each fuse has two test points on top. If you have a multimeter, turn the ignition ON, set your meter to DCV, and touch a lead to each test point. You will probably read around 12.5 volts. You are mainly interested in current flowing. Use a multimeter or test light to test under-dash fuses, so as not to replace them in the wrong slot. You're working in a dark and cramped location.

Assuming all fuses check out OK, check your ECM (computer) to see if any codes were thrown. Both of these are crucial steps.

Since you have spark and fuel, something unusual is going on here.

Nov 15, 2006, 11:16 AM
    How do I check the codes? My mates on his way round with a tester.
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2006, 11:20 AM
    You need to find the Service Check Connector, which should be located about 3 cm from the end of the dash, on the passenger's side. It's a 2P connector, which you jump with a paper clip, and is up under the edge of the dash. The Data Link Connector (3P) and the Service Check Connector (2P) are both housed in a protective rubber mount. Carefully, pry the Service Check Connector free.

Jump the connector, turn the ignition ON, and count the number of long and short flashes, if any, of the Check Engine Light.

See also:

Sticky: Reading error codes on 92-95 Civics (OBD-I Hondas)

Nov 15, 2006, 11:26 AM
    Will this work on my honda? Mine is not the del-sol mine is the mk2 cheese wedge shape
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2006, 11:28 AM
    I think it should work on "cheese-wedge shaped Civics."

Nov 15, 2006, 11:30 AM
    OK I will go and see what happens
    How long should this job take?

HA HA that's the easiest way to describe them lol
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2006, 11:40 AM
    A couple minutes.

Nov 15, 2006, 11:43 AM
    OK well if I'm not back in a few minutes I've blown myself up or its started and I've driven off in excitement.
    latreche34 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2006, 07:28 AM
    I did this test on my CIVIC DX 1993 and gives a steady CEL, what does that mean? I ordered a used ECU box from eBay though for $50.
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2006, 01:21 PM
    latreche34, the CEL staying on means you have a problem with the main relay, ignition switch, ECM, or a fuse. Your Civic won't start, as long as it stays on.

Nov 19, 2006, 09:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    latreche34, the CEL staying on means you have a problem with the main relay, ignition switch, ECM, or a fuse. Your Civic won't start, as long as it stays on.
    This happens only when I jump the OEM pins, otherwise I have no CEL at normal operation, it comes on and goes off, a brand new main relay have been already installed before I do the reading codes procedure, all fuses are good as well as the ign switch, I'll post again when I get the ECU in the mail.

Nov 20, 2006, 04:15 AM
    Hi txgreasemonkey its me again. I didn't blow myself up or drive away. Just to let you know. I had someone come out with a fault finder, it cost me £40 to plug it in say there was nothing wrong with it and start it 1st time, its not fair. Anyway the next day it did the same thing to me and I found out all it was, was the rotor arm in the dizzy cap wasn't tight and wasn't spinning. But now it won't rev over 35000revs. It is flashing error code 4 what do I need to get it running properly? Please help because you helped a lot last time cheers.
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2006, 07:42 AM
    Glad to hear you're still alive. Code 4 indicates a problem with the Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor circuit. With the ignition switch OFF, disconnect the 8P connector from the TDC/CKP/CYP sensor. Measure resistance between sensor terminals B and F. Check for 350 to 700 ohms. If you don't get readings within these parameters, replace the distributor housing. Here's how to locate terminals B and F:

ABCD
    EFGH

View connector's male pins, with the latch on top.

Honda distributors are notorious for having to be replaced around 150,000 kilometers. Normally, the sealed bearings wears out and it sounds like a thrashing machine. When this happens, many of the inside sensors can be destroyed. If you end up having to replace the distributor, buy a new housing from Honda for around $125 and use the ICM and coil from your old unit. I had to do this on my 1993 Civic DX 4 years ago--no big deal.

Nov 20, 2006, 06:41 PM
    Hi txgreasemonkey , I'm the guy with CIVIC DX 1993, I got the ECU today I replaced it, no changes the same thing crank won't start, I checked also the voltage on the MAP sensor and it's 4.99V, just to remind you I have spark, gas, checked most of the connectors voltage according to Hayens repair manual and all tests pass, note that it's been checked by two professional mechanics and they just gave up and I will do so soon, but before that I'm going to check the last two sensors nock and crankshaft positioning sensors, can you tel me where they are located exactly? They are not mentioned in hayens manual.
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2006, 06:48 PM
    Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor and TDC Sensor are inside the distributor and totally inaccessible. Perform tests on outside 8P connector. If they test bad, best bet is to buy a new distributor housing from Honda ($125) and reuse your igniter and coil. Don't give up and get rid of your Civic. This crisis will pass and you will learn a lot from it. Remember, these cars will run 350,000 miles, if you take care of them.

CKP Test (Crankshaft Position), Code 4:
    Test for 350-700 ohms on the 8P distributor connector between sensor terminals B and F.

TDC Test (Top Dead Center), Code 8:
    Test for 350-700 ohms on the 8P distributor connector between sensor terminals C and G.

CYP Test (Cylinder Position), Code 9:
    Test for 350-700 ohms on the 8P distributor connector between sensor terminals D and H.

View of 8P male connector, with clasp ([]) on top:

[]
    ABCD
    EFGH
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2006, 06:50 PM
    Can you hear your fuel pump run?

Nov 22, 2006, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    Can you hear your fuel pump run?
    Yes it runs for few seconds after turning on the ignition key, I demonstrated that by removing the fuel rail bolt and I saw the fuel coming out of the rail with pressure. I didn't mesure it though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I display ECU codes on a 1993 Civic (5th gen)? [ 10 Answers ]

Can't seem to find that info on the net, only up to 91 (4th gen). Thanks, Phil

1993 Civic Jumper Cables Crossed [ 6 Answers ]

We tried to Jump the car, but of course broke the golden rule, DON'T CROSS THE WIRES!! Now there is nothing happening after I have switched in a Brand New Battery. Are there some simple test I can do to check, or is it too late for anything?

1993 civic [ 1 Answers ]

Starts up cold... runs then after gets warm it jerks down the street an shuts off,will start up again only if you turn the key on off repeatly with a pedal Idle OK,but when you accelerate it stalls(rpm needle race up an down)firestone checked the code an said it didn't read any... but they...

1993 Civic DX Won't Start [ 4 Answers ]

Even after reading all the postings on not starting, I still have my own! Here's where I'm at: - Started in the morning to go to work and it died after about 5 seconds of running - The engine continues to turn over freely, but does not run - The engine does get gas (as evident by smell and on...

1993 Civic EX suddenly stops running and won't re-start [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, My girlfriend's Honda Civic (1993 EX model) died within 3 blocks of her workplace the other day. Not being able to troubleshoot the problem in 5 deg weather, I towed it to my house to have a closer look. The car turns over just fine... the engine is not seized, the starter works fine...

View more questions Search