Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    randy801 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2008, 07:18 AM
    Wireless Printer and wireless router
    I have a wireless printer, with a wireless router. I set up the printer through my router and the printer connects. But when I go to print it will not. I did a test page from the printer and everything passes. I do not understand. This does the same thing on 2 computers.

Randy
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 6, 2008, 07:24 AM

First, I do not recommend setting a printer up wirelessly, unless it needs to located away from the router. Otherwise I would wire it into the router.

Second, when you go to install the printer on your PCs do you see the printer listed in network printers?

Generally, I install network printers as a local printer. But when prompted to select a port, I choose TCP/IP rather than LPT1 and enter the IP adddress assigned to the printer.
    randy801 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    First, I do not recommend setting a printer up wirelessly, unless it needs to located away from the router. otherwise I would wire it into the router.

Second, when you go to install the printer on your PCs do you see the printer listed in network printers?

Generally, I install network printers as a local printer. But when prompted to select a port, I choose TCP/IP rather than LPT1 and enter the IP adddress assigned to the printer.
    Yes I do see the printer on both computers. I also have to have the printer away from the router.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Nov 6, 2008, 04:55 PM

Is this an All-in-one type of printer? Did you use the software that came with the printer to discover the printer on the network?

Did you assign an IP address to the printer or did you allow the printer to use DHCP? Using DHCP for a printer is a bad move if you are using the TCP/IP printer port as Scott mentions. I would use the same method he recommends as well but you must use a static IP address for your network and one that is NOT going to be handed out by your DHCP server. So if your DHCP server is handing out 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150 then you will need to select an IP address outside of that range - 192.168.1.50 for example. This way, every time you turn your printer on, it will have the same address and not be subject to what is available from your DHCP server. That way, the TCP/IP printer port can consistently communicate with the IP address you have assigned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can not figure out my wireless network password, I have a router and wireless network [ 2 Answers ]

I have wireless network through, router. My wireless network password is saved on my laptop. My brother wants to use his laptop in my home using my wireless network, I know my ip address how do I give him password and key I have forgotten

Connect to wireless printer and wireless router at the same time [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I can connect wirelessly to my router and I can connect wirelessly to my pinter one at a time. If I'm browsing the internet and want to print I have to break my connection to the router and connect to the printer. This is a pain in the .(especially when listening to pandora radio) ...

Changing wireless router Linksys WRT54GS to a wired router [ 8 Answers ]

How can I disable my wireless router to a wired router. The model is a Linksys WRT54GS.My two computers are now in one room and do not need to be wireless.I will be using a 50ft. Cable. Does it make any difference if the color of the cable is blue or yellow ?

Wireless router [ 10 Answers ]

How hard is it to add a password to my wireless router? I have a blue coloured router with two antenna and it is made by dlink.

Wireless router [ 1 Answers ]

What are the steps to installing a Netgear WRG614 wireless router if I'm already using Verizon DSL with a Westell 6100 modem?

View more questions Search